Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 880-040
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm running into a problem updating to Windows 10 Version 1903.

I'm on a HP OMEN 880-040 desktop computer running Windows 10 64-bit.

When I try to run the Windows 10 update for 1903 I get the error message:

"Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST).

The inbox storage driver iastora.sys doesn't work on these systems and causes stability problems on Windows. Check with your software/driver provider for an updated version that runs on this version of Windows."

And the update wont proceed any further.

Windows recommends that users go to Intel's website and download and install the updated RST drivers.

I go to Intel's website for the Intel Rapid Storage Tech driver update (as instructed by Microsoft's website about the issue), Intel states its best to go to your computers manufacturer website to obtain the proper RST drivers for your specific computer system.

I go to HP's website for and locate the OMEN 880-040 page with drivers, and the Intel RST driver stated on the site is the old outdated one.

So I go back to Intel's website, I download the latest version of SetupRST.exe for 64-bit Windows 10.  I run the program, SetupRST.exe starts then throws an error "This platform is not supported" and then stops.

I'm really confused, how are we supposed to update to the current version of Windows if I cant even update the Intel RST driver to begin with?

Can HP please help fix this issue? Or at the very least tell us how to fix it ourselves.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Looking at the specs for your PC, it has an AMD processor and chipset, correct?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05521228

If so, the Intel RST driver is not applicable to your platform which is why you are getting the platform not supported error when you go to install the driver.

You should be able to update to W10 v1903 after doing the following...

Go to: C:\Windows\System32\drivers, find the iaStorA.sys driver and rename it to iaStorA_old.sys

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Yes the computer is running the AMD chipset (I was also confused as to why the Intel RST driver was on the computer).

I didnt want to mess around with the iaStorA.sys driver because I read that it can prevent booting of Windows and require a complete Windows reinstall.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I haven't heard of that happening, and I don't see how it is possible on your PC since it doesn't use that file at all.

It is just used on Intel platforms.

Here is a forum member that just renamed that file after I informed him it wasn't needed on his PC...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Problem-to-update-to-win-10-19...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.