Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0034

I have a an hp pavilion gaming desktop that is currently stuck at "just a moment" blue screen.  It has the 4 circles frozen which usually circle around.  I had perform a reinstall of windows 10 from the recovery partition but failed. After it would go through the installation it would take me to the login screen where it said "administrator" and under that it had the loading circles with "Welcome" under that. About 2-3 seconds the screen would freeze. So I would manually power the PC and turn back on and would get the hp recovery screen saying "install unable to complete" with options to retry or back.

I search that error and was inform that the hp recovery system could be corrupted. So was advise to do a clean install of windows 10. I did that by using Microsoft media  creation tool using a USB flash drive. Went through the install process of windows and once it completes the install it restarts the PC and now to the blue screen with the just a moment. The circle that normally moves around just freezes. At the end it always goes to that screen. I can use the USB to retry the install, which it goes fine but when the PC reboots it just freezes there.

I bought a new hard drive thinking that could be the issue but it's the same. Did the clean install of windows 10 using the USB but it's back to the just a moment blue screen, with the circles froze.  The computer comes with 16gb of ram, 2 sticks of 8gb.  I tried with only one stick of ram, changing them to a different slot and same issue.  What else can I check that could be causing that. Thanks.

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

Hi

Were you having a problem that led to reinstalling windows?

Try installing W10 with only mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Disconnect all unnecessary peripherals.

Replace the CR2032 MB battery. Can't verify this will help but it is a simple troubleshooting step. Disconnect the PC from AC power when the PC is off. Depress the power button for a while to drain residual power in the system. Remove the battery. Replace the battery then try installing W10 again.

This sounds like a hardware problem. You tried one stick of RAM in each memory socket. Did you try each stick of factory supplied RAM, one at a time, in each memory socket?

I see you also installed a new storage device with no change in behavior.

Have you tried running HP Diagnostics at startup? Start the PC. Tap "ESC". Select "F2".

Run system and component tests.

Memory or drive issues usually cause instability or Windows installation issues.. You may have a deeper hardware issue with the MB/CPU or some other component such as the graphics card or the power supply.

It might be best to have a local PC technician take a look 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  I have tried everything you mention except replacing the cmos battery.  I perform the the system/component test and everything came out good.  Whether I try reinstalling windows from recovery partition or clean install from USB still goes to the same frozen just a moment blue screen.  I think the only thing left to do is taking it to a local tech.  Once I do, I'll come back and post any update if it does get fix.  Thanks again for your time and suggestions.  

HP Recommended

Hi Manny

My pleasure.

You have a hardware problem that can't be solved in a forum.

HP Recommended

Manny!!  I have a customer with this Same computer and Same Issue!!! Have been researching this problem for weeks without any resolution.  I have done everything you tried as well as what they recommended in this forum....no resolution at all!  Did you happen to update your BIOS recently??  My customer recalls updating his bios recently.  The computer currently has a BIOS v.57.  GUEST WHAT??!! There is no v.57 offered by HP!  I believe HP released a jacked up BIOS version and have subsequently taken that version down once they realized it was killing computers.   

HP Recommended

I submitted my own post in the hopes this gets the attention of the HP support as I saw yet another post from someone with the exact same problem

HP Recommended

Hey Pcgraphix, as far as I can remember, no.  The computer came with windows 10 home (64 bit) pre-installed but two years ago I did the free update to Windows 11 Home (64bit).  When I decided to reinstall Windows, I did it through Hp recovery system using the recovery partition that's on the HDD.  The reason that I wanted to reinstall Windows was because the computer was starting to perform a bit slow while navigating through menus, opening folders.  Apart from that I had an issue with windows defender being disable due to another application handling the antivirus part, which I never install any antivirus.  I downloaded Malwarebytes and scan the computer but it came out clean.  So I don't know if my issue could be with trying to reinstall windows 10, which it came from factory, when I was currently running Windows 11 which I obtain with the free upgrade.  I'll check what BIOS version I currently have and I'll get back to you.  Thanks for that information.  

HP Recommended

Hello all. 
I have a HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0028b that I am seeing the same issue on.
I have been battling with this and came across your post.

My BIOS version is v.57

I believe this BIOS was pushed a few weeks ago.

I cannot re-flash my BIOS from USB either. 

Every time I clean install windows 11, 10, or 8.1 (i tried them all) I still get stuck at "Just a moment"

Are there any updates on this issue?

HP Recommended

Hey Jmcglock

After reading Pcgraphix response I check the BIOS and it's vF.57.  I remember doing the BIOS update not that long ago while doing some windows updates.  But I didn't had any issues until I tried resetting my pc from the recovery partition.  I was trying to revert the BIOS back to previous BIOS  version but I'm having issues trying to get the HP Firmware Update and Recovery tool to work in order to create a recovery usb flash drive.  Don't know if that's going to work but that's pretty much where I'm stuck as of now.  I'm thinking about just sending the pc to a tech to see if they can fix it.

HP Recommended

Hi Manny0034

Your PC problem and subsequent post requesting assistance in the forum  occurred before it was discovered a faulty BIOS update was the source of the issue.

I have run into Pcgraphix in other threads where everyone has the same problem. Pcgraphix is working on the fix for a client. The steps involved to fix the problem may not be suitable for all users.

You will probably need a tech to fix this unless HP issues a new BIOS for the MB.

The fix requires wiping the system drive. Or editing the EFI partition on this drive.

You need to reprogram the BIOS back to an older version using a BIOS recovery utility provided by AMI.

Finally, reinstall the operating system if you wiped the system drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.