Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

hey jmcglock, not sure if you resolved your issue yet but, yes, there is a fix but it is not provided by HP.  Others in this forum discovered a workaround and I can attest to you that it works!!  It looks like a wicked procedure but it really wasn't nearly as challenging as I thought it would be.

I wrote a lengthy step by step procedure to guide others.  See it at Fix For The F.57 BIOS Bug Which Causes Windows 10 & 11 Insta... - HP Support Community - 8616459

HP Recommended

Hey Manny0034, here is the procedure I used to flash the BIOS back to a previous stable version

Fix For The F.57 BIOS Bug Which Causes Windows 10 & 11 Insta... - HP Support Community - 8616459

HP Recommended

Hey Pcgraphix,

Thanks for the information.  I was going through the steps but unfortunately I'm stuck in step #3.  After downloading the proper BIOS and double clicking the sp141607.exe file, it doesn't open up the BIOS Update and Recovery program.  After clicking (Next) on the "Save files in folder" page it changes to where it copies something, a green bar progress and closes the page.  When I check the C: it does create a folder name "SWSetup" and inside a file as an application name "08433F55."  Double clicking that application as well doesn't open anything either.  For some reason it's not opening the HP BIOS Update and Recovery program.  That's what is stopping me to continue with the steps.  Now I have to check the issues with that so I can continue on.  But I appreciate the information with the steps.  

HP Recommended

Manny0034, sp141607.exe is an oddball executable because all it does is create yet another executable file called 08433f55.exe in that folder location...just as you described.  I have downloaded & opened those same files on three different computers without any issue so your situation is most odd.  Try redownloading the sp141607.exe.  Also try downloading & running it on another computer.  Wondering if it has something to do with User Account Control whereby your computer is failing to show the UAC prompt.  

HP Recommended

Hi Pcgraphix

I am not a tech but worked in IT. I am now a retired tech enthusiast. I use Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI MBs when building new PCs. Also have HP PCs.

This stuff is cool but very complex. It is above my pay grade! 😉

I have been messing around with sp141607.exe to see if I can get the .bin files. Tried 7Zip.

Could open the archive using 7Zip but all I see is a text file with encrypted code.

Screenshot 2023-02-13 113459.png

Could not extract the files from the HP .exe file. I might try to make a copy of the text file, then rename the copied, encrypted code dump to .bin. Then see if the AMI utility can read this file?

Also have this image, the .bin files must be in there somewhere?

Screenshot 2023-02-13 114330.png

The "text" file is encrypted. The code characteristics are: code, execute, read. Maybe one of the data files or this "text" file holds the keys to the kingdom?

Then moved 08433f55.exe to the AMI Firmware Update Utility subfolder where the Win GUI (AFUWINGUIx64.exe) is. Tried the AMI Windows GUI option to see if the AMI utility would see this file. Haven't tried using Afudos.exe with Hiren yet.

The AMI utility does not see the HP BIOS executable file. The AMI Win GUI utility looks like you can flash the chip in Windows if you have the .bin file.

I can't go for a touchdown because I am messing around with this on my favorite PC. I might try a MSI BIOS update to see how it goes.

I can see why Manny0034 is having a problem.

The BIOS recovery procedure in the Business forum has a lot of holes.

HP Recommended

Pcgraphix,

I notice that after it copies the 08433f55.exe to the SWSetup folder and the page closes, under Task Manager I can see the HP Flash Utility (3.44 build 09071).  And then after like about 25 seconds it goes away from the "processes" tab.  Regarding the UAC prompt, when I first double click on the sp141607 file it does ask me if I want to run or not.  I created another Windows user as admin as well but gave me same issue.  I'm going to try on another computer to see if I can get that running.  Thanks for the information.  

HP Recommended

Hi

Ran AFUWINGUIx64.exe within Windows 11 using an MSI BIOS update for my MSI MB in the same sub-folder.

The program worked and was ready to flash the BIOS chip.

Converted the HP BIOS text file to a .bin file. Could not use the .bin file in the AMI utility because of a file size mismatch. 

This suggests the AMI utility was able to read the .bin file, compared the file to the current file on the chip, but rejected the file.

This could be good news when tried on the correct MB!

Tried the HP BIOS (08433f55.exe) update again. Realized the search for file dialogue was set to a limited file choice in previous attempts.

Set to "all files" instead of .rom or .cap or .bin. Can't believe I missed that!

Got the same error message. I guessing this means the HP BIOS .exe file may work since the AMI utility is reading but rejecting the file due to a file size mismatch.

Can't verify this, don't have the correct MB.

HP Recommended

Bill_To, when Manny0034 posted that he couldn't even get the BIOS F55 that he downloaded to launch the after installation I just surmised that the cause was that his computer system that wouldn't allow it to launch (for whatever reason...maybe User Account Control).  But now that you are also having issues I'm wondering if HP ONCE AGAIN may have modified the files for our systems.  To test this theory,  I relaunched the same file I downloaded several days ago (file SP141606.exe) and  it AS EXPECTED created the 08433f55.exe file which then auto launches and gave me the options to either UPDATE (actually grayed out as my computer is not compatible with this BIOS) OR CREATE RECOVERY USB FLASH DRIVE OR COPY.  

To compare what HP is now offering for download, I attempted to redownload the same latest version of the BIOS that HP.com has for my computer to see...if perhaps...HP may have changed the download file  BUTTTTTTTT.....I can't even pull up the Drivers & Software page tonight! That particular page won't even load in my browser...no error just a big dumb ugly spinning circle.  Tried different computers in my office....same result!  

To Be Continued....

HP Recommended

I want to start off by thanking every single one that was involve in resolving this issue with the BIOS update.  I was able to run the  HP BIOS Update and Recovery tool in order to continue with step #3 by using another Hp Windows 10 desktop.  Copied the .bin file, and continue with the following steps.  Everything went smooth and got my 690-0034 back up running.  As far as my other pc TG01-2003w not being able to run the HP BIOS Update and Recovery tool, I have no idea what's causing that but as  long as I don't have any issues with the pc I'll leave it how it is.  So thank you to everybody that work to provide a fix  for the issue regarding the BIOS Update vF.57.  

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem and my BIOS is vF .57   whit a release date of 11/10/2022  my question HP now has a BIOS F .57 Rev.A  release date of 12/1/2022 is this a new release 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.