Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 8570w Mobile Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I recently upgraded my computer for christmas,

I took my hard drive out of my hp elitebook 8570w and put in my gaming pc. But now it says the microsoft key is not valid. I contacted microsoft and they said im going to need a new windows 10 pro key from the manufacor. I do have the product key and the serial number to verify it was one that i had. It would be awesome if a hp repesnitvie can help me.

Thanks!

Brayden

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Brayden

HP has no official presence in this forum except for moderators.

I don't work for HP. I am a volunteer forum member.

Microsoft will not allow moving an OEM product key from one motherboard to a different motherboard.

Your EliteBook 8570w has a limited OEM product key.

Retail product keys can be moved to different motherboards.

Tom

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi Brayden

HP has no official presence in this forum except for moderators.

I don't work for HP. I am a volunteer forum member.

Microsoft will not allow moving an OEM product key from one motherboard to a different motherboard.

Your EliteBook 8570w has a limited OEM product key.

Retail product keys can be moved to different motherboards.

Tom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.