omengamer62
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows issues Omen 880-110 desktop

Omen 880-110
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this desktop a little over a month ago. Ran great all the way until last week, it started to have slow startups and was jittery. Eventually it would not boot. I still got the Windows loading screen but it wouldn't progress. It then said starting automatic repair and the OS didn't shut down cleanly. I ran diagnostics from BIOS menu and all the hardware (including hard drive and intel optane) were functioning correctly so I used the installation media via HP on a flash drive to re-install windows. The computer boots fine now, and runs OK-ish. It takes about twice as long now to start apps as it did before and I'm noticing a large difference in my FPS. Used to on max settings on Rainbow Six Siege I was averaging 120-140 FPS I'm now getting 60-80. Obviously I want this problem fixed, but am unsure what to do. I have ran security scans, updated windows drivers, downloaded drivers from Nvidia (GTX 1070). Looking for answers, thanks for any help.

13 REPLIES 13
FattysGoneWild
Level 7
728 620 20 111
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This to me sounds like a possible hard drive issue. Is it a Seagate? Either way. Find the manufacturers tool and do an extensive test. It will take several hours. If it passes that. We go to the next thing. Doing a factory restore it should be running like a champ again. Something is definetly wrong.

Level 12
Level 12
5,780 5,768 545 1,203
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You might want to also check component temps if FGW's suggestion does not isolate the problem. Sounds like some component may be running hot. You did a HP factory recovery but the problem has recurred.

Download and run the portable version of HWMonitor (link) while you run Prime95 (link). Then do this again while you run FurMark (link). All programs are free.

Let the forum know what temps you're seeing.

Regards

0 Kudos
omengamer62
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The hard drive checked out fine. All the temperatures were normal with the softwares linked. 

0 Kudos
FattysGoneWild
Level 7
728 620 20 111
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@omengamer62 wrote:

The hard drive checked out fine. All the temperatures were normal with the softwares linked. 

Grab the latest HP uefi tools for your system and run system scan for a few hours. See if you can get it to fail. I would run it for 12-24 hours in a loop. 

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,122 3,234
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There is another issue that may or may not be contributing to the slow down since you did the OS reinstall with the recovery media.

The optane memory needs to be disabled in the Intel RST software first, before you install a new drive or reinstall Windows.  Once the recovery or OS install is completed, reverse the order.

But in your case if the original drive failed, you need to disable the Optane drive in the bios to unhide it, then wipe the Optane drive with the Clean command in CMD. Then you can reinstate the Optane drive with the Intel RST.

In other words...

A problem is caused by the fact that the Optane volume is hidden when enabled in RST.  So during recovery/OS install, data can be lost if it's not disabled before.  Also, after the install, the Optane won't be visible still but also not working.  Disable, reboot, enable in BIOS will fix that.  Then enable in RST.

Two documents to read up on...

HP PCs - Installing and Using Intel Optane

Option 3... How to disable Optane memory in Bios

Level 12
Level 12
5,780 5,768 545 1,203
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi photoray002.

Good observation.

Optane is just another caching drive which adds complexity to the system.

I am not a big fan. Optane is a good solution when used in conjunction with slow platter HDDs.

I would rather install, and advise clients to go with, M.2, NVME SSDs when possible.

Regards

Level 15
Level 15
11,083 10,894 1,122 3,234
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Grzwacz  Agreed about going SSD over Optane. Optane is not worth the headaches.

FattysGoneWild
Level 7
728 620 20 111
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Photoray002 wrote:

There is another issue that may or may not be contributing to the slow down since you did the OS reinstall with the recovery media.

The optane memory needs to be disabled in the Intel RST software first, before you install a new drive or reinstall Windows.  Once the recovery or OS install is completed, reverse the order.

But in your case if the original drive failed, you need to disable the Optane drive in the bios to unhide it, then wipe the Optane drive with the Clean command in CMD. Then you can reinstate the Optane drive with the Intel RST.

In other words...

A problem is caused by the fact that the Optane volume is hidden when enabled in RST.  So during recovery/OS install, data can be lost if it's not disabled before.  Also, after the install, the Optane won't be visible still but also not working.  Disable, reboot, enable in BIOS will fix that.  Then enable in RST.

Two documents to read up on...

HP PCs - Installing and Using Intel Optane

Option 3... How to disable Optane memory in Bios

Here is the kicker though. HP factory restore requires no special user input. Just a matter of saying yes or no to the restore. But, that Optane drive does throw a wrench in for troubleshooting. Try our suggestions OP and see if it finds or solves the issue at hand. 

Level 12
Level 12
5,780 5,768 545 1,203
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi FGW,

I agree with you.

The HP: recovery discs or USB recovery media should set the system back to the HP factory config. Optane should work correctly unless this drive is defective or the HP recovery media is borked. But then, your suggestion to run HP Diagnostics should flag this device if it has a problem.

So this problem is very perplexing.

The OP stated temps were good when running Furmark and Prime95 while monitoring temps with HWMonitor. I neglected to set a time limit.

The stress tests and monitoring should be individually run for at least 30 minutes.

The temperature results returned by the OP may be inconclusive.

You always have the W10 version update wildcard in play. Maybe this system shipped with W10 1709. Maybe the W10 1803 update is causing problems?? Maybe a HP BIOS update needs to be installed.

There is a BIOS update dated 07'18 (Link). No mention of being required to update to the latest version of W10.

It is either a system driver problem, or a hardware problem, or a thermal problem, or a Windows update problem.

Maybe the OP should back up data and try (last resort) a clean W10 install. Now you have to go through the IRST setup routine to use Optane. I don't recommend Optane! 

Who knows.

Regards

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation