Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP a6638f

I need to know the dimensions of the case in order to figure out what graphics cards will fit. Below is a link for the computer. This computer is maybe 10 years old, and so needs some serious upgrading, but I do not know the size of it's internal dimensions or what would otherwise fit inside without significant trial and error. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-a6600-desktop-pc-series/3793920/model/3821641/docum...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@spacebook,

If you have the ability to complete all listed projects, the CPU being the hardest.

In a real world situation, I would suggest you turn it off. Pull the power cord. Open/remove  the side panel.

Cut a piece of heavy stock card board 4.3 inch high, and 10.0 inches long. Try to insert it over the PCIEx16 slot.

If too long,  cut 1/2 inch and repeat until you have the maximum length.

1) Now you have the length of whatever GPU card would fit.

2) Your BIOS is legacy, and can not ever be upgraded to the newer UEFI BIOS.

3) That said, the max GPU card from NVidia is the GTX 600 series, preferably the GTX 660.

EVGA GTX660 3GB 9.5"     MSI GTX 660 2GB 8.6"         reference page if you find a card elsewhere (lengths)

4) Now the PSU needs to be changed. A Corsair CX-550M is excellent.

A top of the line CPU chip,  Q9650.  

There are no lists to the actual specs.  What OS and is it 32 or 64 bit?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@spacebook,

If you have the ability to complete all listed projects, the CPU being the hardest.

In a real world situation, I would suggest you turn it off. Pull the power cord. Open/remove  the side panel.

Cut a piece of heavy stock card board 4.3 inch high, and 10.0 inches long. Try to insert it over the PCIEx16 slot.

If too long,  cut 1/2 inch and repeat until you have the maximum length.

1) Now you have the length of whatever GPU card would fit.

2) Your BIOS is legacy, and can not ever be upgraded to the newer UEFI BIOS.

3) That said, the max GPU card from NVidia is the GTX 600 series, preferably the GTX 660.

EVGA GTX660 3GB 9.5"     MSI GTX 660 2GB 8.6"         reference page if you find a card elsewhere (lengths)

4) Now the PSU needs to be changed. A Corsair CX-550M is excellent.

A top of the line CPU chip,  Q9650.  

There are no lists to the actual specs.  What OS and is it 32 or 64 bit?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks WB, the cardboard is a clever solution. I've opened it up plenty of times, so I know how to do that, but using measuring tape is a pain and I've been off in other projects. Thank you for the PSU recommendation, I have been looking at those as well and haven't had an idea of where to start. 

It is a 64-bit. Still running Vista, I think, as I haven't connected it to the internet in about 5 years. 

As far as the GPU goes, is it limited by the size itself or the CPU? Can I ask that follow-up or does that belong in another/new thread? The product description link seems to indicate that I can put in an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (assuming I have the money for that or the Q9650 you mentioned) and from what I've researched, that CPU can work with a GTX 1050 4gb video card. 

What are your thoughts?

HP Recommended

@spacebook,

The GTX 1050 is a UEFI card..answer is a Big NO.  A GTX 660 is only limited to the length you can fit. The cardboard idea is not my original thought. It comes from a previous member.  You can always start another inquiry.

WIN 7 SP1 Pro DVD can be found on the web for less than $20 new, and of course, the product key.

You would need to d/l and make a driver on USB media for WIN 7. Some versions might allow an in-place up grade. After you have WIN 7 SP1 installed, WIN 10 is free. When you get there, ask me, or the forum.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.