Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 870-073nj
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I wanted to ask what motherboard can fit in to a omen 870 case i want a new motherboard for a lot of reasons i have a i5 6600k

i dont really know what can fit into the case or what type of motherboard to buy so if you can give models of motherboards it will help me a lot Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Swapping in a retail motherboard (MB) such as a Gigabyte, Asrock, or Asus board on a proprietary PC can sometimes be a challenging thing to do.

There are successes and there are failures.

This (Link) has an image of your MB. HP classifies the Thimphu MB as a uATX board. Theoretically, any uATX retail MB should fit. But you must verify the new MB has the exact same mounting points as the HP MB now installed in the chassis.

Any MB standoff hidden behind the new MB will short the MB. That's it, you are done.

Other problematic areas are as follows:

1. HP sometimes uses proprietary F_P LED and Powr Switch connections on it's proprietary MBs.

2. HP sometimes uses proprietary F_P USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 connectors and F_P USB 2.0 card reader connectors on the MB.

3. HP sometimes permanently attaches the rear I/O shield to the chassis.

You have to research what you are dealing with before you buy a new MB. You may be able to do this but you have much work to do to ensure it can be done.

You will probably have to get a new Microsoft Windows 10 product key. Microsoft will flag your current OS installation because you have changed the MB.

It is much easier to also change the chassis while you are changing the MB.

Regards

HP Recommended

I just went through the same emotional struggle.

after 3 weeks of research, the resolve is truly...

dont bother.

find an i7/ 8xxx you want and buy it.

the systems have monumentally changed.

(for the better) 

Example: we’re moving from PS3-PS4 this year.

i understand $1200 may seem inappropriate right now but the reality is we’re changing to a new level of computing and you’ll have to buy $1199 worth of parts.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.