Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

how do I change function key to multimedia key? I'm sick and tired of holding FN and any f1-f12 key to get it to work. I want to disable or turn the Fn key off

can anyone help me?

things I have tried

1. f2 at start up and couldn't find a menu or anything where I can edit anything at all.

2. I open up the window mobility center and there no option to turn off fn key.

laptop that i own

MPN 15AX250WM

HP Omen Gaming Laptop Core I7-7700hq Processor 12gb RAM GTX 1050ti

edit: Nvm I figure out how to get to the BIOS settings because Window 10 had a strange way to do it, posting the steps below, hopefully it help others

1. Press Windows button and select Settings.
  2. Select Update & Security from Setting options.
  3. Select Recovery from the left menu page’s of Update & Security.
  4. Click Restart Now under Advanced startup.
  5. When system restart, click Troubleshoot.
  6. Next click Advanced options.
  7. Select UEFI Firmware Settings or other options.
  8. Click Restart.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Meow56 Welcome to HP Community!

Here's all you need to know about disabling the function (Fn) key:

Many notebooks feature a setting that allows you to use the action keys functionality without pressing the fn key each time.

Use the correct steps based on your notebook type to enable or disable this functionality.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.