Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
hp pavillion gaming desktop 690-0011NA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

going by HP's logic, would it be safe to upgrade my already 1050 2gb that consumes 75w to a 1650 that also consumes 75w??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Ali-A,

That is your decision.

I would not use a 180 watt power supply if Gigabyte (Link) recommends a minimum 300 watt power supply for the 1650 Mini ITX OC.

Regards

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Well, This HP site (Link) shows a factory installed 180 watt power supply. The HP 1050 may be have a lower power consumption requirement. Your factory CPU is rated at 65 watts TDP. TDP and power consumption are not exactly the same but this is what CPU manufacturers provide.

The GTX 1650 minimum power supply requirement is 300 watts.

The 310 watt HP power supply which works with your chassis (part number L03980-800) is not currently available at HP Part Surfer (Link).

The 400 watt PSU (L04618-800) is also not available at HP Part Surfer.

I can't believe HP is not offering either part for sale.

Regards

HP Recommended

but if the gtx 1050 consumes 75 w and the gtx 1650 also consuming 75 w, would it not work and if not then would it mean that hp have sold me a pc that is is dangerous to run due to the low psu???

HP Recommended

Hi,

The PC will probably run okay under normal circumstances after installing a 1650.

All I am saying is: you may have stability issues when you play a game that continuously stresses both the CPU and the graphics card. 

You have a potential (75 watts + 65 watts) 140 watt load on a 180 watt power supply. Plus add in the power draw from other components installed in your PC.

I would go with a 400 watt power supply when the graphics card manufacturer recommends a 300 watt minimum power supply.

It is not good practice to run a power supply close to it's maximum power output. 

You get possible: system instability and premature power supply failure that could take other components with it when it fails.

Regards

HP Recommended

I get a stutter or two an hour at heavy gaming with my cpu at 100 and gpu at around 80 but I have no intention in upgrading a psu so would you reccomend I install this exact gpu (Gigabyte 1650 oc its mini) into this pc. Thanks for the help so far btw.

HP Recommended

Meant to be an ITX mini*

HP Recommended

Hi Ali-A,

That is your decision.

I would not use a 180 watt power supply if Gigabyte (Link) recommends a minimum 300 watt power supply for the 1650 Mini ITX OC.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.