Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello: i need help.  Two things gone wrong today with the DIY i just did:  ***note, i am not a techy so please reply back as if i am stupid with computer talk--i have no idea about hard drives--models//type and etc.

Long story short...i tried to put a hard drive from my previous pc into the omen 870-224 for a second hard drive as i have a lot of pictures and music that i wanted to transfer over--and files.  I got it into the case, and here is where i messed up twice.

So for some reason my pc only came with one power cord,--the power cord with the older Hp was shorter than the allowed space to where the second hard drive would fit.  So i thought i could switch the power cords from the omen's hard drive to the older h/d. 

Issue 1:  Upon removing the plud from the omen's hard drive, the plastic piece on the hard drive's power connector broke off---completely broke, no way to re-attach it.   

---------------is this hard drive done/need to buy a new one? Can it be fixed, or can it be connected to the power in a second way.

Issue 2: Upon installing the older hard drive, now in the first position with the omen's cables attached, the pc is not recognizing the hard drive and asking for a boot recovery disk---i do not think i should need one as the older hard drive already has windows on it.   Any suggestions on this-how to proceed?

Otherwise, i think i will have spend more money and go to best buy 😞

Thank you for your help!!!

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Things might not look that bad, however:

1. Some picture showing what actually has been broken would help. Have pins - see examples below - fell off as well as a result?

If so, then either somebody can mend it (temporarily or semi-permanently) and will allow you to transfer / clone the drive to another one, or re-connect it back.

Or HDD has to be written off.

In either case you might need to consider searching for a replacement disk (current model should be labelled [WD Blue 1TB 7200 SATA I'm guessing?] accordingly if you decide for a like-for-like one).

2. PC will not start off the second drive, obviously, as OS is placed on the first one.

HP Recommended

Hi: it would be the middle thing with the prongs-- none of the metal stuff is broken--just the back plastic piece broke off..

for #2--i got to my bios, but hp now calls it hp setup utlility for the other hard drive---the utility sees it under device configuration, but not under boot order--for boot order i have :

UEFI boot sources

-USB Floppy/CD

-USB HARD DRIVE

then there is this legacy book sources : Disabled

Thanks

HP Recommended

1. It might be mended then (plastic bit carefully glued back and cable re-attached - and it should self-support itself), however I cannot vouch for the reliability of it. Best to source a replacement disk in parallel and clone the old HDD to it.

2. Your operating system in on the broken disk and Windows will not start / run until you connect it back as it originally was.

HP Recommended

so this means the second hard drive will never work until i fix the first one?

HP Recommended

To cut the long-ish story short: yes.

Once you load Windows off the first one and with second one connected as well (you ned to sort all these required cables up as well) OS should recognise it and you will have an access to its content.

HP Recommended

actually i was able to get the second hard drive to work...all i had to do was to enable the legacy boot

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.