Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP HPE H8 1201eu
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello

I have some problems with my GPU (some random black screen). I can stil do things with no problem but i would like some information in advance, about getting new GPU if this suddenly dies.

I have:

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7770 Series 2GB

MB: hp ipisb-ch2 (chicago)

For my BIOS i got only this -  AMI 7.13 05/01/12 i dont know if it Legacy or UEFI :indifferent:

I`ve been serching for some GPUs but, i cant decide what will work with my MB and all that tehnical stuff.

Can you please help me with this. Thank you for reading. 🙂

PS. The Gpu doesent have to be some MEGA machine just a little better then this one if it is possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi T-Perso

You are welcome

I have seen special front panel (power switch and LEDS) connectors on HP's towers.

A third party MB maker such as Asrock or ASUS use industry standard pinouts on the MB.

So you may not be able to connect the HP front panel connectors to the new MB FP pinouts.

HP may have different MB tray riser positions. HP has their MB's made to fit in HP cases. Thus a standard MB may not line up correctly in the HP tower. You don't want MB risers touching the MB as this will cause a short and ruin the MB.

You would have to buy a MB having similar architecture as your HP MB. If not then you will have to purchase new RAM and may not be able to use the current CPU. Keep in mind if you purchase a similar MB it may also have a legacy BIOS.

So you still cannot install the new Nvidia or AMD graphics cards because they need UEFI BIOS. The two vendors in previous message will work in a new Legacy BIOS motherboard.

If you buy a new MB and a new case you will not have the above problems when installing the MB in a new case.

Grzy

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi T-Perso

Have you tried updating the driver at AMD graphics driver update site? Your PC may be limited to only using HP supplied AMD Unified Graphics Divers.

You have a Legacy BIOS.

The following observation is anecdotal. It may not apply to your situation.

I had a H8 series HP PC. I could not install a Legacy GPU that was not on the list of graphics card upgrade options HP provided at my PC's HP Support site.

Your PC's HP Support site shows no upgrade options. This may mean your PC may not POST with a Legacy graphics card that would otherwise work with your PC's current architecture. So be prepared to return the graphics card purchase if it fails to initialize.

So you can't use Nvidia 700 through 1000 series graphics cards because they require UEFI BIOS. You can't use newer AMD graphics cards that need UEFI BIOS.

The only options are to see if you can get a replacement Radeon 7770 or try the following graphics cards:

1. Sapphire AMD (X) series which run on Legacy or UEFI BIOS

2.MSI also has some AMD cards and a GTX 750Ti that will run on either BIOS

You have to check length of prospective graphics card to be sure it will fit in your PC's chassis. These cards are double slot so you have to be able to pop an adjacent backplate to install the cards. You also have to check the HP factory installed power supply to verify it has correct PCIe supplemental power connections and adequate wattage to power the new graphics card.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hello Grzwacz, and thank you for taking your time to help me.
Yes, I updated my GPU drivers. I do this every time the new ones pop up.
I installed new windows 7, replaced monitor and so one. The only time that worked normally was when I used 18in monitor. I have a strange problem with this black screen and temporary solution is even stranger.
If you are interested I have a video about it.:)

About Bios... how do you know that is the legacy. I'm just wondering because when I press ESC  on my startup, it offers me some UEFI check or something. (can't remember)

If I got you right, I can't update my bios, because my motherboard is very limited to upgrades. (hardware and software.)
So I have to get a GPU with legacy bios that will fit in my chassis with enough watts on my PSU.

Another thing if I buy new motherboard it will fix a lot of things. Meaning Bios and hardware compatibility, right?.

Thank you for your help.
T-Perso
HP Recommended

Hi T-Perso

You are welcome.

Checked your BIOS version at HP support site for your PC. You don't have version 8 BIOS. You have version 7. So it is not UEFI.

You can buy a new motherboard. If you do this you may as well build a new PC.

A new MB will give you current hardware options. HP uses some proprietary connections in their chassis'.

Many MB's don't play well in a HP chassis.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hi Grzy
Yes, I got that info too (Bios).

I will get a new GPU when is really necessary from the list that you provided.

What do you mean that it uses some proprietary connections? Like maybe OEM... windows and motherboard.

Building a new custom PC in my country is really expensive, so buying a new MB is my way to go (when needed). 

Thank you.

T-Perso

HP Recommended

Hi T-Perso

You are welcome

I have seen special front panel (power switch and LEDS) connectors on HP's towers.

A third party MB maker such as Asrock or ASUS use industry standard pinouts on the MB.

So you may not be able to connect the HP front panel connectors to the new MB FP pinouts.

HP may have different MB tray riser positions. HP has their MB's made to fit in HP cases. Thus a standard MB may not line up correctly in the HP tower. You don't want MB risers touching the MB as this will cause a short and ruin the MB.

You would have to buy a MB having similar architecture as your HP MB. If not then you will have to purchase new RAM and may not be able to use the current CPU. Keep in mind if you purchase a similar MB it may also have a legacy BIOS.

So you still cannot install the new Nvidia or AMD graphics cards because they need UEFI BIOS. The two vendors in previous message will work in a new Legacy BIOS motherboard.

If you buy a new MB and a new case you will not have the above problems when installing the MB in a new case.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hi Grzy 
I have checked some motherboards and other components. You are right, if I buy new MB, I need to get a new more powerful PSU and a new CPU because this one has 1155 sockets and it won't fit the newer MB. And all of that is worthless if I can't connect it to the HP chassis/tower and other stuff.

I can't even find new GPU that will run legacy bios. List that you provided is fine, but I can't get those GPU anywhere near me. Its like everything is against me.

So yes, I will have to get a new computer (my build).

Thank you,
T-Perso

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.