Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
hp OMEN X 900-000nx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello ! 
I need some technical explanation regarding a possible upgrade that I have in mind .
Im offered an I7700K cpu for a very cheap price it is new in the box authentic because the shop owner want's to get rid of the "old" stash .
I have an OMEN X900 with the MUNICH-S motherboard MS-7A09 revision 1.1 with the latest F25 bios  .
What exactly is the limitation here not to use the I7700K on this motherboard ?
Z170 chipset supports 7700K 
The rest of the hardware as well even the power is not a problem everything indicates there should not be any problems and the I-7700K should be able to work normally. 
Before trying I  would like to get some specific answer IF NOT ..why ? and what is the reason for it ? 
Hope I get the answer soon enough as I'm not sure the shop owner will wait for me too long .

My X900 is out of warranty , it is heavily modified, the power supply is exchanged for Corsair TX-M Series™ TX850M — 850 Watt 80 Plus® Gold Certified PSU   basically everything else: Corsair Hydro Series H100x High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, RTX Gigabyte 2080Gaming OC , SoundBlaster AE-7  , ram Corsair PC3000 LED CL15 and more.

So is it safe to try with the I 7700K on this motherboard ? If not why ? 
Thanks ! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @Darko71 

Unless someone who has that motherboard comes out and says it worked for them, I would say "save your money". Generally speaking, HP's require a bios that's designed for specific hardware. Unless the bios was updated to include the 7th gen series CPU, its not going to work. Even though the chipset can technically accept it.

I looked through the bios updates and did not find any of them that showed it was updated to include the 7th gen series.

With that said, the gain you would achieve by upgrading to the 7700 would be so small, it wouldn't be worth the cost, unless they gave it to you for free. Just my opinion, Ive had both CPU's.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hey @Darko71 

Unless someone who has that motherboard comes out and says it worked for them, I would say "save your money". Generally speaking, HP's require a bios that's designed for specific hardware. Unless the bios was updated to include the 7th gen series CPU, its not going to work. Even though the chipset can technically accept it.

I looked through the bios updates and did not find any of them that showed it was updated to include the 7th gen series.

With that said, the gain you would achieve by upgrading to the 7700 would be so small, it wouldn't be worth the cost, unless they gave it to you for free. Just my opinion, Ive had both CPU's.

HP Recommended

yeah! when I look at the Munich-K I believe it is technically the same as MUNICH-S i mean COPY/PASTE except for the BIOS but ..that's a pretty stupid approach and limitation for no reason .
However the BIOS and microcode are exactly the  reason I hesitate and now I'm pretty sure it wont happen I cant say I have bad performance however it was just a tempting offer .

Thanks! 
 I would like to hear from any of the hp TEAM or better hp OMEN team why the silly limitation on a capable hardware ? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.