Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power Desktop - 580-023w
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Dual rank means the memory runs at X2 speed when it is installed in the correct memory sockets.

Modern motherboards support dual rank memory. 

Regards

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
HP Recommended

Hi,

Some HP motherboards (MB) can use various memory modules, some HP MBs cannot.

I suggest you go to this Crucial Memory (Link) to verify compatible memory module upgrades for your motherboard

Regards

HP Recommended

Hey,

thank you, ive already been there and they say i can get this Crucial 16 gb ddr4-3200  UDIMM, but im just curious because dosent my pc only take 2400

HP Recommended

Hi,

The 3200 XMP memory module will only run at 2400.

HP does not allow XMP settings. Don't waste your money if the 3200 is more expensive.

Regards

HP Recommended

alright, i will buy the 2400 then

thank you

HP Recommended

but my pc would still run even if i bought it with 3200 right?

HP Recommended

Hi,

The motherboard will not run the memory at 3200 because HP disables XMP.

You are limited to 2400 when using this PC. So buying faster memory is pointless.

Regards

HP Recommended

What is Dual Rank? is it that one or just standard 16 gb or does it matter?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Dual rank means the memory runs at X2 speed when it is installed in the correct memory sockets.

Modern motherboards support dual rank memory. 

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your MB has two sockets.

Dual channel works when you have two 4 GB or two 8 GB memory sticks installed instead of one 8 GB or one 16 GB memory module.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.