Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
690-0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have been happily using an intel 660p 2tb ssd in my desktop since I bought it (upgraded immediately). I recently bought a WD SN750 which has (or is supposed to have) read speeds around 3400MB/sec. 

After doing some troubleshooting as to why my speeds were only around 1600MB/sec, I found that is the realistic max speed of PCIE2.0 (x4), which apparently the m.2 interface is running at  -  as opposed to what it should be, which is 3.0 x4. 

I do not have anything plugged into the x1 slot below the gfx card, and I am only using one of the three available sata ports on the motherboard. 

1) Does anyone with this (or similar) desktop have the same experience? If the interface is hard capped/limited to 2.0 bandwidth, I will be bummed but then I can just return to using the 660p knowing I am getting the most out of it.

or, 

2) Should my SSD be running at 3.0 speeds and something is configured improperly w/the computer?

Appreciate any/all input. I am not a complete novice and not an expert, somewhere in the middle. (I have upgraded nearly everything possible on the desktop save for the MB and PSU, but I don't think any of that should have an effect here).

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@jwwagner25 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-690-0000-pc-series/19769765/model/22909853/d...

From the following information

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-690-0000-pc-series/19769765/document/c059392...

It should run at 3.0x4. Did you check it original 128GB drive ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

The issue is that it's only pcie 2.0, rather than 3.0 speeds. None of the documentation you linked mentions pcie 2.0 OR 3.0. It just shows that it's four lanes, which my ssd does have access to. 

So at this point I'm left wondering if the computer only ever supported PCIE 2.0 which would be a pretty big disappointment. Any other info?

HP Recommended

jwwagner25_0-1591101979495.png

I'm not sure if that image will post, but it's a screenshot of HWinfo from my desktop. Shows that the hardware supports 3.0 speeds of 8.0 GT/sec, but the drive only running at 5.0 GT/sec which is 2.0 speeds.

The question now is what could be causing it. Again appreciate any suggestions..

Thanks, 

Jake

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.