Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp Omen Dekstop 870-224 ram upgrade?
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

so been going around with crucial ram company over RAM UPGRADE, They swear up and down guaranteeing that this HP 870-224. will carry 32 gigs. So rather purchase the 2666 mhz. I picked up a couple sticks off market place 2x16. at 2133. staying with the lower speed. So I will be installing an I7 7700 picked up for a hundred bucks and these two sticks over the next week. I will let everyone know if it works. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@CHIPSTER64

@CHIPSTER64 wrote:

ok so I'm back on track with the i7 7700 and the 32 gigs of 2133 ram. it's in the mail so stay tuned.------ Also does HP make their own ..

HP/ Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB GDDR6 ITX Graphics card to fit in their 870-224 cabinets... Or do most work in it.? 

No, they actually do have them made to their specifications to work with the other components, such as, the PSU.  They are normally the same size as a retail version of the card, however.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@CHIPSTER64 , welcome back to the Community.

I have found that the specifications on Crucial's website have been conflicting with HP's specifications (16 GB maximum for your motherboard).  I have to go with HP's because any other amount most likely won't work.  The standard speed of DDR4 memory is 2133 MHz.  HP has to build an Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) into the BIOS to overclock the memory higher, such as, DDR4-2666.  Their specs state 2133 MHz for your motherboard.

I believe that you made the best choice of memory.  I am not certain about the 2x16 GB, however.  The i7-7700 should be fine.

Let us know if the 32 GB's work with your motherboard.  The maximum for the i7-7700 is 64 GB and DDR4-2400 MHz, but HP engineers their boards to be used in many different models with different configurations and limitations.  This how they create different price points.

HP Recommended

ok so Facebook pay screwed up all my purchases so I couldn't get them. but here is a few more questions.  I found this on hp site. looking at memory upgrade. Memory compatibility
The computer uses UDIMMs (unbuffered dual in-line
memory modules) that must meet the following
requirements:
● 240-pin
● DDR4-2133
● Unbuffered, non-ECC (64-bit)
● 1.5 V
● 32 GB maximum installable memory
Because the memory uses dual channels, you must use the
same memory module type for both sockets.
NOTE: The actual memory transfer speed might vary based
on the processor used in your computer.
NOTE: Memory performance might vary due to different
system configurations.  .SEE IT SAYS 32 GIGS AT 2133. -- ALSO SOMEONE SAID THEY WERE RUNNING A I7 7700K IN THEIR MACHINE WITH NO PROBLEMS. i DIDN;T THINK THIS THING WOULD TAKE ANYTHING WITH A K ON THE NED OF IT. -- CAN ANYONE SAY THEY ARE RUNNING A I3 OR I5 OR I7 THAT HAS THE  ( K ) ON THE END.  DOES EVERYONE GET THE SAME  PACKAGE  WITH THE 870-224. I5 7400 ?  IF YOU DON'T KNOW SOMETHING AS FACT THEN JUST SAY YOU DON'T KNOW YOU HAVEN'T TRIED IT.  THE I7 7700  is hard to buy cheap second hand. but there are a lot of i7 7700K out there.  what gives --- have there been updates on the bios or software .

HP Recommended

@CHIPSTER64 

I will lump all of your questions into one answer.  When I give advice for upgrading HP computers, I have to use the specifications that are published for a particular model.  I can't say, "well, so and so states that they are using a Processor that is not on the compatible list".  If it doesn't work, then, you or another member of the Community would be upset with me, but most importantly, with HP.  Here is a note in the Specifications:

note:
HP has tested a maximum of 32 GB on this system and does not recommend maximum memory beyond the 32 GB amount.

It appears that HP has tested up to 32 GB of memory.  I am not certain where I saw that the maximum was 16 GB.  I have to admit I was wrong.

It is always your prerogative to try any suggestions that you read online, but they won't come from me!!  I hope this helps you understand where I stand.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Well when i looked at the early specs on this model of 870-224 i5 7400 . it did state 16 gigs max. . buy as I looked into more updated info. it appears that it now magically supports 32 gigs.  now do bios updates and firmware create these new abilities. And if so why does hp not send these out to owners of these products. ? -  I only want to know what I am working with and it's update ability's. I very well could have accepted the old specs and would have been stuck with 2 -- 8 gig sticks of ram- because I found out later I could have used 2 x16 in it.  see my point. HP REALLY NEEDS TO UP IT'S GAME .

HP Recommended

@CHIPSTER64 

Thank you for verifying that you saw the 16 GB maximum.  I thought that I must have looked at the wrong model.

HP has thousands of models to keep updated.  They do their best to keep things up to date.

HP Recommended

ok so I'm back on track with the i7 7700 and the 32 gigs of 2133 ram. it's in the mail so stay tuned.------ Also does HP make their own ..

HP/ Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB GDDR6 ITX Graphics card to fit in their 870-224 cabinets... Or do most work in it.? 

HP Recommended

@CHIPSTER64

@CHIPSTER64 wrote:

No, they actually do have them made to their specifications to work with the other components, such as, the PSU.  They are normally the same size as a retail version of the card, however.

HP Recommended

ok so will this TESLA K80 900-22080-6300-000 NVIDIA 24GB GDDR5 CUDA GPU GRAPHICS ACCELERATORS..   Work in an 870-224 with a 500 watt power supply. and are these cards any good for a music studio program. ?/ thanks

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @CHIPSTER64!

I can't find enough information on the card that you list.  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will tell you what to consider when upgrading the video card: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Upgrade-Video-Card/ta-p/7481981

If you read it carefully, you will be able to determine if the card will fit into your case and work with your PSU.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.