Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 880-p1xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I got an Omen 880-p1xx PC (product number 2TB61AV) a year ago, the machine originally came with an i7 8700k cpu and graphics 1080ti (hp) but I would like to buy a ryzen or i9 cpu soon. My question is, the motherboard on this machine seems to have the case built around it, io ports are custom/unique on the case and fitted around the motherboard (HP 8437 1.3) and the gpu is connected to an 8x slot rather than 16x. this aside, I did some research here and noticed someone previously told another person that they can't simply slap on an i9 to this motherboard due to bios chip issues. So the obvious rout is to ditch the motherboard, can this be done on the machine without modifications to the case? 

TL;DR is there a known 3rd party (or hp) micro atx motherboard compatible with the omen 880-p1xx case which i could use to replace the default OEM HP 8437 motherboard that comes standard with the machine?

Thank you in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@ScriptKitty 

Your full model number is Omen 880-160se CTO.

There is a bios update that gives support for Intel CFL-R I7-9700K/I5-9400F/I7-9700F processors.

Bios update for your Tampa2 motherboard is version F.50 Rev.A  sp97077.exe

You should be OK with the liquid cooled heat sink you have now if you go the 9700K. But upgrading from 8700K to 9700K is not really worth the money, if that's what you're thinking.

If you want the 9900K, I would think it would also work in that socket because the 9900K is also CFL-R. HP just might have not listed it.

But I don't know for sure if the bios will prevent it or not. I have not heard of anyone upgrading to the 9900K yet.

@Grzwacz  any ideas?

HP Recommended

I sort of left out a minor detail, I have no other option but to get another CPU as the original one was fried yesterday (warranty is also very expired) and I really like the case and would rather not have to get another one just to accommodate a 3rd party motherboard capable of using a CPU significantly better than the one it originally shipped with...

After looking around some more I feel as though the answer to this question is the one which I feared. That is, in order to upgrade to a motherboard that is without a doubt capable of using one of the stated modern CPUs I will have to totally ditch the case due to usage of proprietary connections in things such as the lights, power button and possibly the PSU as well? This is bad... I originally thought it would only be the i/o shield I had to worry about but the situation appears to have catastrophically worsened.

HP Recommended

OK thanks,  I didn't know the rest of the story. Ive also had that model CTO you have now.

If your case, Yes you will be better off simply building a new system, or buy another ready built.

Besides, I don't know the conditions behind the current CPU frying, but that motherboard might be affected also without testing.

If you wish for a 9900K, YUP.

You could use the ram sticks, power supply, video card and drives for the new case if you just want to save some money.

The Ram is only 2400Mhz that you have now, but probably wont be an issue unless you just wanted High Speed overclocked ram like 3200 or more (pricey).

The PSU would work also, its just that the cables aren't very glamorous and if you get a nice case with a see thru door, you will most likely want good cable management. In such case, you will want a nicer PSU with Modular Cables. If you decide to go with a better graphics card like an RTX, you might need a more powerful PSU anyway.

The drives... Windows HP wont transfer to a new motherboard. You will have to purchase a new key for a fresh install, but they can be found cheap on sites like Kingwin.

Let me know if you have other questions.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I agree with Photoray002.

The upgrade from a 8700k to a 9700k is not cost effective.

No guarantees a 9900k will work on the Tampa2 motherboard.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

Did not see the fried CPU response when I replied.

I don't know why this (not seeing additional repsonses in this thread) happened.

Are you sure the CPU is fried?

That is very unusual.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Photoray002
.I'm also not entirely sure if the mobo is damaged, I think it is because I occasionally get 3 long deep beeps followed by two short higher pitched beeps which appear to be some kind of indication of a hardware failure/error. That happens occasionally when I try booting the system.

I don't want to risk a CPU upgrade with this mobo if it is not without a doubt going to work, so I think you're correct and my only options are to either attempt to salvage whatever works from the machine for a new one or simply replace the CPU with the same one...

Thanks for the assistance!

@Grzwacz wrote:

Are you sure the CPU is fried?

I believe it is or there may be something very wrong with it at least. Ever since I received the machine it has been incredibly unstable. Sometimes I would get 2-3 BSoDs a day, the stop codes alternated between about 5 different codes each time so troubleshooting it became a hassle and I sort of just lived with it. Recently I realized that the water cooler fan occasionally stopped spinning, shortly after I got a BSoD so I am assuming this was probably happening for over the course of a year which dramatically reduced the lifespan of this CPU and it absolutely did not help that I had the great idea to overclock the CPU yesterday (didn't adjust voltage only clock speed by +0.3 in Intel extreme tuning utility). As soon as I did this merely 30 minutes later the machine fell flat on its face and let out a piercing shriek when I tried turning it on again (mobo hardware beep codes, 3 long low tone beeps followed by 2 short higher pitched beeps), system would not boot into windows and froze during the boot screen (probably because this is when windows starts firing up more threads and using more cores in the cpu) so i tried booting arch linux to which I got a kernel panic, seems like something about 2 cores not syncing iirc, disabled multiprocessor mode in bios and the machine actually booted. The overclock is not active yet the CPU still does not function correctly in multiprocessor mode anymore. This leads me to believe that cores in the CPU could have been damaged in some way, but some are still functional and hence why I can still post here with the machine. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.