Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-00xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hey so i have 8gb ram but i am only allowed to use 5.9 how do i fix

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@swayzi , welcome to the forum.

A certain amount of memory is used by other processes.  Some is being reserved for hardware.  This is why there is a difference.  Here is what my memory looks like:

Capture.PNG

As you can see, I have 16,291(16 GB) MB of memory.  However, I have 12, 016 MB (12 GB) available.  This is approximately the same percentage as your situation.  If you look at the bottom to the Task Manager page you will see Open Resource Monitor in Blue.  Click on this link to see the monitor.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@swayzi 

What is the full product number of your 690 desktop?

Open the HP Support Assistant and the product number will be at the bottom of the window.

To add to what old_geekster is pointing out for clarification:

When you say you have ram you cannot access, where are you looking?

What does the Hardware Reserved show in the Task Manager under Memory?

Example...

hardware reserved task manager.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.