Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 7 (520 Views)

up and down noise 870-129

Product Name: omen 870-129
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, does anyone one a omen 870-129 that makes a constant up and down  noise? with or without a load it stays the same,its my first gamer so I dont know if it normal,hard to fing any reviews on these because there so new ,thanx

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Message 2 of 7 (495 Views)

Re: up and down noise 870-129

Hello

What component is making the up and down noise?

When does it make this sound?

It could be the 6700k processor ramping up when you perform tasks. You can check by opening Task Manager and set it to always on top.

Then check CPU and Ram when the sound is heard.

gRzy

Provost
Message 3 of 7 (483 Views)

I suspect it's the CPU fan.  It's not uncommon for fans to surge when launching applications.

HP laptop 17t u100,
HP Photosmart 6520 and HP Deskjet 1112
Custom 1151 socket Z270 Intel i7-7700k @4,600 Mhz, 16GB Corsair 3000 Mhz dimms
Corsair H75 water cooler, Corsair CS 650M power supply
RAID 0 (dual Samsung 960 EVO m.2 240GB) boot system
Dual Samsung 840 EVO SSDs 500GB data storage, Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400GB
MSI NVIDIA GTX 980TI 6GB
ASUS ROG PG279q @144 MHz
Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 Pro x64 in UEFI mode
Honor Student
Message 4 of 7 (479 Views)

Hi,no idea what is making the sound ,but its done it from day one and its constant and it never gets stronger or weaker,I might send it  off to warrany,thanx

Honor Student
Message 5 of 7 (477 Views)

Hi ,when I bought this 870-129 a few months ago I contacted  hp about the noise and let them take control of my pc but they never found anything wrong, but they did say it should not be making the noise I described.The techs at bestbuy said its normal,would like to hear from someone with the same omen 870-120 pc,just might send it back for warranty ,thanx for your help.

Student
Message 6 of 7 (176 Views)

I'm glad I came across this post and others about HP Omen fan noise. I also bought an Omen 870-129 desktop last week and the rattling fan noise that would perpetually come on every 10 seconds for a period of about 10 seconds was driving me nuts also. Especially, while I was watching tranquil 4K nature videos - which is the main reason I bought the powerful computer. Notably, the noise cycle was constant whether the computer was performing a task or idling. And to make matters worse, after removing the side plate, I was unable to tell which of the fans it was coming from. 

I took it back to the Geek Squad and they told that was "normal." However, it seems complaints about Omen fan noise are all over the web and YouTube, so I insisted that Best Buy replace it.  After a little prodding they agreed to do so, but I'm afraid the replacement I'll receive this week will do the same thing. The Geek Squad stated that it was just this model that made that noise; however, complaints about fan noise from other Omen models are common, both desktop and laptop.

Incidentally, I had an Omen 870-119 before (with the GTX 960 video card) and the darn thing was quiet as a mouse. Just beautiful. I should have left well enough alone, but I wanted the extra power of the GTX 1070, so I upgraded. The 870-129 is a fantastic, well-made, impressive machine - beautiful in every way - but if the replacement starts driving me nuts with the whirring-rattling noise, reluctantly, I will have to go with a different make.     

Associate Professor
Message 7 of 7 (163 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi WillBranson

The fan noise could be either the GPU or CPU fan. Nvidia 's thermal solution allows for a quiet mode (the GPU fans don't spin until the graphics card temps reach 62c).  I would think HP's 1070 has this option.

I Just built a system having a Z170 MB, 6700k processor, and a GTX 1080.

Since I don't overclock I used a stock Intel CPU fan/heatsink. Big mistake! When the CPU ramps up the CPU fan also spins faster to keep the CPU cool.

The CPU fan was driving me crazy. It would kick into high gear when surfing the web and other low CPU load tasks (the fan would spin up and then down). Changed the CPU cooling to an Arctic i32 heatsink/fan. The system is now super quiet. Even when running Prime 95 or other CPU stress test the CPU fan is quiet and the CPU temps don't rise above 62c. Intel CPU's throttle at 100c.

My guess is HP is using a fan/heatsink option that requires the fan to ramp up under low CPU loads. Remove the side panel and measure the fan diameter.  It is probably a small heatsink and fan installation.

The point is: exchanging your PC for the same model is probably not going to change the characteristic's of the system.

You would have to go to a different HP product or replace the CPU fan/heatsink if that is what is making the noise.

You could not install an Arctic i32 or a Hyper 212 because your HP chassis is too small. Most quiet, after market coolers require an ATX MB and a mid-tower chassis. You may be able to find a CPU cooling option that is quiet and fits in your tower.

The quieter CPU cooling options usually have 120mm fans (too big for an ITX MB) and fairly large heatsinks. You also need to install a backplate when mounting the heatsink.

Grzy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation