Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
owen 880-020
Unknown

where to get a replacement PSU for owen 880-020

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello @PSU007 

The Omen 880 will take a full size ATX PSU. Most any name brand ATX PSU thats 500w or more will work. Just have to make sure it has the required video card connectors you need.

Are you wanting to upgrade your video card or are you having a different issue?

HP Recommended

Thank you. 

I've checked them out but all brand name  ATX PSU does not have the 6PIN connector power cable to the DVD drive. Most have short cables and the fan is either on the top or the bottom. And having difficulty to seat it. Do your have any subjection?

HP Recommended

That DVD drive shouldn't take a 6 pin connector. It should be a Sata power connector same as a Sata HDD.

The video card will take a 6 pin connector for that 580.

Why are you needing to change out the 500w PSU that came with that Omen?

HP Recommended

When I turned the power switch on,  I heard "POP" sound then the Owen won't turn on. But the PSU power light's still lighting up. The Store tech said 98% is the bad PSU.  So I am looking for the replacement. 

I meant the The SATA cable to the DVD with 6 PIN to DVD and smaller then the 15 PIN SATA to the HDD. Please advise.

Thank you!!!

HP Recommended

It very well is most likely the PSU, but there is no guarantee that is the only thing damaged. There might be something on the motherboard also damaged, just so you know.

Again, that DVD drive will only have a Sata 15 pin power connector (or if an old one, a 4 pin molex) and a Sata data connector.

Does it by chance have a 6 pin to Sata power pigtail adapter connecting the power?

IF it does for some strange reason, you dont have to use 6 pin. New ATX PSUs will have a couple of Sata power cables that you can use directly also.

HP Recommended

Is there a way for me to check if the PSU is bad? Someone said it might be the motherborad. How can I check it out and where to get the replacement  for the HP8309  Higos motherborad? Could it be the GPU or power switch? Please help!

Thank you!

HP Recommended

For all practical purposes, a tech would simply plug in another PSU to the motherboard to test it with.

Vice versa for the PSU.

HP does not sell those motherboards. You would have to look online for a third party seller and most likely, those will be used boards. You would have to purchase another copy of Windows also.

Here is the parts link that includes the motherboard 915479-601... http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=Z5M88AA   Hopefully its only the PSU that needs replaced.

I assume you are out of warranty?

HP Recommended

Thank you  for your information. I will get the good PSU and test the Motherboard. The only problem is that the HP slim DVD writer needs 6 pin sata power connector but all new the PSU does not have it. If it is neither the motherboard nor PSU,  would it be the Video graphics card caused the problem? How to test it?

Thanks again. I have learnt a lot from you.

HP Recommended

On that DVD Slim drive, is that 6 pin power connector actually a wire pigtail? In other words, does the DVD drive have an actual 15 pin Sata port, but there is an adapter connecting to it to run a 6 pin power connector?

6 pin to 15 pin sata power.jfif

If so, then you would simply remove that pigtail and use the standard 15 pin power cable from the new PSU.

If not, could you post a photo of that drives connection?

I doubt the video card is bad, but again the only way you would test it by plugging it into another computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.