Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Mine is with i7 9750h and GTX 1660 ti. 
at the start of the game, the CPU temps is at around 80-95c, after around 20 minutes, it can reach max temp 100c.
i already undervolt both the CPU (-0.155) and GPU (limit the clock at 1350), and the temps is still like that...
The undervolt works with the GPU tho, it not even over 80c

And for some reason this laptop don't have some kind of fan control, i wonder why
It's brand new btw, i got this like 3 days ago

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Update again
Just going back from HP Service Center (which is also a PC part shop, if anyone asking why thel sold me a thermal paste)
Turns out the thermal paste is dry, just after one week of using it
Either MasterGel Pro is pure **bleep**, or they sold me a batch from 50 years ago, what a waste of money.
Now i'm using Gelid GC Extreme, the temps is better than ever..
Here's what i've done and the result
- Undervolt CPU using ThrottleStop both Core and Cache by -0.150 (before this -0.155, but crash when playing Tomb Raider 2013, only in this game)
- Undervolt GPU using MSI Afterburner using the curve by 1650Mhz/825v
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey CPU Max 87c and Avg 84c
- Monster Hunter World CPU Max 85 and Avg 80c

Another thing i noticed after using Gelid GC Extreme is now the CPU can constantly hit 4.0Ghz while gaming, this almost never happened before.

And those temps, can still be lower if you want to, by changing Turbo Boost Long Power Max and Turbo Boost Short Power Max value in ThrottleStop both to 24. By doing this, the temps hardly go beyond 80c, averaging at 70c-80c, but now the CPU will have some frequency drop below 3Ghz, and it can't hit 4.0Ghz constantly, and i didn't notice any performance drop, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Hopefully this will help anyone with similar problem.
Thank you @Echo_Lake and @Riddle_Decipher for replying to my post.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@HendyStark
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

• "PC, it is most likely the cause of the overheating problem. Since increasing the clock rate of your system components makes them perform more operations per second, it then leads to the production of additional heat"

use the following steps:

• Shut down the computer, and then inspect and clean the exterior vents to remove dust buildup by blowing air through the vent openings. Dust can accumulate inside the vent openings and around internal cooling components, preventing the removal of heat.

For more information on reducing heat inside your computer, see Reducing Heat Inside the PC.

• After you remove the dust, turn on the computer. If the error message persists, continue with these steps.
  • Perform a hard reset. Performing a hard reset can reset recorded thermal values in memory and enable you to use the computer again, even if only for a short time to access and save any important files before service.

For more information on performing a hard reset, see Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues.

• In some cases, updating the BIOS might help prevent this error from occurring. For more information on how to update the BIOS, see Updating the BIOS.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying, Unfortunately those didn't solve my problem, well this Laptop is brand new. and for the dust, as i said before, this laptop is brand new, the inside is already as clean as i wanted it to be.
The only solution works for me so far is changing the thermal paste
I was planning to change it to Kryonaut, but it's out of stock here, so i used MasterGel Pro instead..
After the repaste, it runs a bit cooler on Assassin's Creed Odyssey, 80-90c, sometimes hit 91-93, but often stays at the 80s.

Here's a clip of it in AC Odyssey after 30 minutes of gameplay.

Compared to before, this is definitely better, but, that kind of temps is clearly still hot as it's still sometimes can hit even 93c, i haven't test it for longer than 30 minutes, who knows if it's stays the same or even worse.
I the problem before this was a bad paste job from HP. A laptop this price is considered a kinda expensive here in my country, i expect a better quality than this from a big brand.
And about the temps after repasting, i think can be better. and for whatever reason HP didn't include any manual fan control for this laptop, several laptop that i know, at this price point got manual fan control with software, i don't know why this one doesn't have one.

HP Recommended

@HendyStark I'll need to know exactly which model you've got, and meanwhile, here's the Tjunction of the CPU you've mentioned and it can handle up to 100°C : click here to verify

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

As for the fan controller, that depends on the precise model name, so help me, help you,

Replacing the thermal paste isn't something we recommend, however, if you wish to proceed, you may do so at your own discretion.

Also, thanks for the videos, my ancestors were a part of the assassins creed, so it's always good to see fans playing the game, now 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thank you for replying, yes, i am a fan of AC games, haha.
Even if it can handle 100c, i really don't think it should for handle that for almost the whole gaming session.
The complete product name/number is HP Pavilion Gaming 15 DK0043TX.
I already repasted it at the HP official here in my city, and it's better after repaste, 93c max CPU, that's clearly bad paste job from HP.
I also undervolted the CPU and GPU, trial and error for a day, until finally i can get the temps max at 86, i think that's kinda ok now, much better certainly.
Hope HP would do better job for their future products.

HP Recommended

@HendyStark I'm glad its been sorted, and I went through the details of your device and we don't seem to have any advisories or updates related to overheating for this device: click here to verify

I suggest you observe the device for a week and get back to us with the results,

In case you have any issues, since you aren't too sure about this solution.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

sure, i'll update after a week.
Hopefully HP will update the bios for better cooling or maybe a fan control, but i doubt that they'll do

HP Recommended

@HendyStark

Thank you for posting back 

Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results.
Note: All the updates are managed and rolled out by Microsoft therefore you will be notified by windows update if any new updates are available. 

Have a nice day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i almost forgot to post an update here lol.
So here's how it is so far :
1. I bought the laptop, out of the box gaming AC Odyssey CPU can reach 100c, avg around 95c.
2. I undervolted it, no change, the cpu temp still like in the first one.
3. Do a repaste with MasterGel Pro,  with undervolt, max cpu while AC Odyssey is 95c, avg 90.
4. Do some more fine tuning with the undervolt, AC Odyssey max around 88c, avg 85. also tried Monster Hunter World, cpu max at 78c, avg 73c or something.
5. For some reason my smartass decided to do a factory reset. after reset the cpu temp (stock no undervolt) jump around like crazy, around 50-90c (before reset like 45-60c, often at 50-55c), sometimes hit 100c, thats when idle and browsing chrome. i'm not trying gaming with that.
6. Thinking the factory reset file is corrupted or something like that, i do a clean install and do format for all windows partition, the temps still like that. so i apply the same fine tuned undervolt value i use before the reset. AC odyssey max 95c, avg 90c. and Monster hunter world max 90c avg 86c. 

that's the best undervolt value that i used before reset, but now it run hotter compared to before reset with same undervolt value. i don't know what went wrong after the factory reset, even clean install is not helping.

i think i'll just deal with it for now.

thanks for Echo_Lake and Riddle_Decipher for replying to this thread.

HP Recommended

@HendyStark

Thank you for posting back.  

This sounds like hardware related issue with the internal hardware.

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options based on your warranty in order to diagnose the computer physically. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​​

And, also you can check with the local store for a faster fix. 

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.