4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

15" Omen Laptop battery question

HP Recommended
15-dc1030nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I just bought a 15-dc1030nr Omen laptop last week and overall have been really happy with it. I do however have a couple small nagging issues with it. 

The first issue is how loud and hot it gets when doing anything gaming related. I have read up on this a bit today and apparently creating a custom power plan may be all that is needed to reduce this. So I will give that a shot later. 

Second issue is the battery. I have had this laptop plugged in the entire time I have had it. I have been using it pretty steadily for the past week and on a few occasions I have glanced down at the battery power and noticed 95% displayed. This is kind of puzzling to me, also the fact that when I have noticed it, it's always 95% exactly. Is it possible that what I am doing on this computer is consuming so much power that the charging can't keep up with it? I am doing a lot of work with RTX ray tracing in Unreal Engine and a little gaming recently "with RTX enabled". 

I haven't done any tinkering with the system settings beyond what was given to me as options from Windows and HP as I set up the laptop originally.  

1 REPLY 1
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,618 3,993
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@REZBLUE1 Welcome to HP Community!

Click here for steps to resolve overheating issues, you could try reducing the resolution on the in-game settings and switch the windows settings to performance rather than visual effects to make a minor change, however, the game may heat up your PC, hence make sure you are using a cooling pad as well, to be on a safer side.

Here's how you change windows settings:

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and Ok...this should do the trick.

I must let you know that its normal for a gaming PC to heat up, and with an Intel CPU such as the one you have, there's nothing to worry about, for details on why you don't need to worry: Click here to go through the CPU specifications, look under Tjunction of the CPU, it supports up to 100°C.

As for the battery issue, the laptop does with a smart adapter, it automatically stops charging when the battery is full, when it depletes eventually, the charger activates and recharges the batteries, eventually.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation