Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen x 17-ap020nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi to all 🙂

Just one small question. What is the temperature limits for normal use laptop HP Omen x 17-ap020nr ([edit] I7CPU)? My Omen is going from 70C to 85C. But some time go to 90C and not above. I know if my laptop going above 90c  then I need to clean it, change my thermal paste, underwolt... SO, is ok If I play games 80c-90c? Will it damage my laptop?

All the best 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That is an ongoing argument. Intel says the top end temp is 100c. Once the temps reach close to that top end, it will throttle down to drop temps.

Personally I don't like to run my laptops at 90 for several hours. But technically its not supposed to hurt them. The "official answer" from HP is that you are fine.

The big argument is that running hotter temps may shorten the life of the cpu. Or if it did, you would have moved on to another more upgraded PC before that ever happened.

I would encourage you to try the cleaning steps first and see what happens. You are past warranty I'm sure, so repasting wont be an issue either.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @isko 

That is a subject with many opinions. 🙄

Technically if your CPU occasionally reaches 90c, its not going to kill it. Ideally, you would want it to stay in the 70s to low 80s, but its max temp is 100c.  Its a laptop and not going to cool as good as a desktop will.

Is it running hotter than normal? You should occasionally blow the vents with air to maintain a clean pathway. Make sure you're not putting the laptop on a bed and getting the vents blocked.

Repasting is up to you. It certainly wont hurt after a few years of use, then you could do a more thorough cleaning while its apart.

Undervolting will turn off Turbo Boost which does drop temps, but you will lose some performance also.

Or if the game wont be affected much, try lowering some of the game settings.

You can certainly try your methods you mentioned, it wont hurt to give it a shot.

HP Recommended

Hi

"Is it running hotter than normal?" 

- No for now. I just want to know is OK to play games on 80c to 90c? Is OK temperature from 80 to 90c to play games several hours? Will it kill your components in your laptop? 🙂

HP Recommended

That is an ongoing argument. Intel says the top end temp is 100c. Once the temps reach close to that top end, it will throttle down to drop temps.

Personally I don't like to run my laptops at 90 for several hours. But technically its not supposed to hurt them. The "official answer" from HP is that you are fine.

The big argument is that running hotter temps may shorten the life of the cpu. Or if it did, you would have moved on to another more upgraded PC before that ever happened.

I would encourage you to try the cleaning steps first and see what happens. You are past warranty I'm sure, so repasting wont be an issue either.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.