Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming 15-cx0056wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, I've had this laptop for about 2 years now, I bought it to use for university work. Needless to say I've been using it extensively since then.

I've recently run into a few battery issues and I've tried running a few different diagnostics, and it seems like each time they give me a different answer.

The main issue I'm having is that my laptop doesn't seem to charge properly when it's turned on. I plug in the charger, it charges for a bit, about 2% usually, and then stops charging. It still says it's plugged in, but not charging. However, it DOES charge when the laptop is turned off. I went to sleep yesterday and I remember my laptop being at around 60% charge, but this morning when I turned it on, it was sitting at 81%.  I've tried reinstalling the drivers for the battery, and it seemed to fix the issue up to a point. I distinctly remember my laptop charging from 5% to 60%, and then stopping. 

Now for the diagnostics, I've tried HP Support Assistant's built in battery check, and I've used the powercfg -energy command in CMD. Before, the HP support assistant would say that my battery is close to dying and that I should change it ASAP, but today I ran the diagnostic again and it says that the battery is functioning fine. Same with the cmd diagnostic. It gave me a warning that my battery can barely hold 40% of its intended charge, but once again, I ran the diagnostic today and suddenly it says my battery is healthy. 

There have also been times where my battery just quickly discharged, my laptop shut down and on the following boot, I got the bios message that my battery is dangerously low on capacity.

I'm not really sure what to do, if my battery is indeed healthy then I suppose it's just an issue of drivers and programs showing wrong information, but I somehow doubt that's the case.
If my battery is on its last legs like the diagnostics showed before, then I'm thinking of removing the battery entirely and just using my laptop with it always being plugged in.  If I purchase a replacement battery, it'll most likely be a month or so from now. 

Regardless, I just want to get to the bottom of this, so any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I am having the same if not similar issue - and I feel it is the battery.

I have ordered a new battery as mine only charges to about 83% and at around 30% it shuts down as though it is flat!

If you can open the back up and check the serial number of the battery and then order one - ensure you count the wires from the battery to the board (mine has a 12 wire pin... some have 16).

Hope this helps!

Dave

HP Recommended

Hi @DomoJ, Welcome to the HP Support Community.  

Apologies for all the inconvenience

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue, and in order to fix this issue,  your computer needs to be serviced.  As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now,

As this is a hardware issue, I'd suggest youContact HPin your region regarding the service options for your computer. 

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.   

Have a great day!  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Praveenbv

I feel that this is not a hardware issue but the fact that nothing is made to last and as far as I can actually ascertain things always fail just after the manufacturing warranty.

But back to the OP...

Mine is doing similar things to @DomoJ... in as much as coming up with varying answers to the issues raised by the HP Assistant (first it is the battery weak... then it is OK... then it is aging... etc.).

Now I would love HP to own up to their mistakes (and not just HP but all other manufacturers out there) and offer proper support instead of fobbing us off to HP Support when most people will not be covered as per the unit going out of warranty... bearing in mind these machines are a minimum of £800 up to possibly £1900.  These should be built to last longer than a 2 year warranty offered.

It's as though they are purposely designed to fail just after the warranty.

That said... I feel this is a battery issue and as such is the battery fault of a sub-standard build quality.

@DomoJ I would just buy a new battery and hope that the website most HP people on here send you actually does list the battery for your unit - unfortunately it does not list anything for mine (an OMEN 17 bought in 2018).

And yes before anyone asks I have search by make, model, serial number and even via serial numbers and part numbers... still nothing.

HP Recommended

You may order the replacement parts on the HP Parts Store, use the HP Parts Surfer to find the part number and If you've already looked for it and couldn't find it on the HP Parts Store, you may want to get it locally at the online store such as Amazon or eBay, etc...as the part numbers are universal. 

  

Alternatively, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started: 

  

1) Click on this link

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step: 

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Click on "Show Options". Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself! 

  

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, here's how private messages work: Click here for details.  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted.  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.