Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, when I bought this HP OMEN 17-AN113NS laptop in August 2019. At first, I can set the resolution up to 3840x2160. Since about two months ago, the max resolution that is accepted is 1920 x 1080. I´ve tried rolling back to an August 19 NVIDIA driver but doesn´t work as a solution. Now, if I go to see the resolution specs on the web it shows as maximum 1920 x 1080. But I swear that I could set on 4k, even in games. Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Vito6 , welcome to the forum.

Here is the Product Specifications page for the laptop:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-17-an100-laptop-pc/20329829/model/22529660/document/...

If you look at the section titled "Display" this is what it states:  43.9 cm (17.3") diagonal FHD 144 Hz IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)

As you can see, the Native resolution is 1920x1080.  Most monitors will default to the Native resolution because it will give the best performance and picture.  Technically, even if you were able to set the resolution to 4K the picture would only be as good as the Native resolution.  In most instances, you probably couldn't detect the difference unless you had another monitor setting next to it on 4K.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, but it doesn't give me a solution. I want to know how can I set again the resolution to 3840x2160  on my laptop, not on an external screen. I was able to do it in the past, so there must be a way to set up again.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Vito6!

The solution is, you will have to go to Settings: System/Display/Display resolution.  If 3840x2160 is not listed or blanked out, there is no way you can change the resolution.  As I stated, the monitor will default to the Native resolution, 1920x1080.

HP Recommended

But I want to know why the laptop was able to set 4k in the past, but now it doesn´t. 

HP Recommended

@Vito6, I simply can't answer that question.  If there is no entry in the Settings to change it to 3840x2160, it may have been a glitch in the system that allowed it earlier.  I have seen much stranger things than this happen, believe me, in the past 30+ years of computing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.