Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-EC1006NA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've purchased the HP Pavilion 15-ec1006na from Amazon today. Can anyone tell me if it already comes with the relevant connector to add a second hard drive to this or do I need to purchase spare part L72698-001?

If I need to purchase it, can anyone tell me where I get this part please?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your welcome. 🙂

The problem with machines like this from MFG's with fixed bio's is that the XMP profile is not adjustable in the bios.

HP and others are using specific mem sticks for their machines that match the profile needed to run and 3200MHz. If you simply add your own ram, yes it will most likely default down to 2400. HP does usually offer ram in the HP Store, but its high priced.

You are better off buying an HP machine with the desired ram already installed from factory. Otherwise if you're OK with the ram running at 2400MHz, then upgrade all you want.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @KillerBus 

Usually now days, HP includes the connector and a dummy drive box in the place of the HDD.

BUT no one can guarantee its there. You would have to open the case and physically look to make certain.

Your manual... http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06446633

HP does not sell those connectors individually. If you ended up needing one, you would have to search online for a 3rd party solution, etc.

HP Recommended

Hi @Photoray002,

Thank you for the quick response.

Looking at the manual in the link that you provided I also see that there is a note against memory that says:

"DDR4-2400 dual channel support (DDR4-3200 bridge to DDR4-2666, DDR4-2666 downgrade to DDR4-2400)"

Am I right in assuming that this means if I put in 2 sticks of 8GB DDR4-3200 it'll only run as DDR4-2400? If so would I better using 1 stick of 16GB DDR4-3200?

Thank you again

HP Recommended

Your welcome. 🙂

The problem with machines like this from MFG's with fixed bio's is that the XMP profile is not adjustable in the bios.

HP and others are using specific mem sticks for their machines that match the profile needed to run and 3200MHz. If you simply add your own ram, yes it will most likely default down to 2400. HP does usually offer ram in the HP Store, but its high priced.

You are better off buying an HP machine with the desired ram already installed from factory. Otherwise if you're OK with the ram running at 2400MHz, then upgrade all you want.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the Solved. Ill add one more thing if you have the question later...

If you end up with that Pavilion and decide to keep it, I wouldnt worry too much about the ram speed.

The advantage of gaming with 3200 vs 2400 (while looks good on benchmarks) is small potatoes in the overall performance compared to not having enough ram. Now days, you will have more need for 16GB vs 8GB over that speed. If the system were to have to cache from the hard drive, that's a lot slower than ram thats 2400MHz. So I personally wouldn't fret much over it if I kept it.

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.