cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FDorna
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Annoying FPS drops while gaming temporarily fixed by replugging AC adpt.

HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-w033dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It happens on every game I play, from League of Legends to Overwatch and GTA V. When the game starts everything seems to be okay, but at some random point (like driving in GTA) FPS drop SIGNIFICANTLY. The only way I found to fix this was replugging the AC adapter (which was already plugged in, since playing a game on battery is pretty much impossible). This "fix" I found only lasts about a minute or so. What's wrong?

7 REPLIES 7
DavidSMP
Retired
Retired
12,360 12,338 1,169 2,504
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @FDorna,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums After reading your post I see that you require assistance regarding FPS drops while playing games on battery. It will be a delight to assist you here.Smiley Happy

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. Smiley Happy Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did you check if the computer is on a high-performance power plan?

• Before that let me keep you posted that the computer works perfectly and that is the way it is designed. Games use a lot of graphics, power and computer resources and the computer’s battery cannot supply such enormous power to play these high-end games.
  • The battery is used as a standby for regular routine daily takes like watching videos, listening to music, working with the computer using business applications like Word or Excel, checking emails and related tasks.
  • The battery is not designed to supply power to playing high-end games as it does not have the adequate amperage or wattage that the charger has.
  • That is why it is important to connect the charger and play games.

For now please perform these steps to try and improve the situation on battery standby. But let me assure you the computer works perfectly.

In the meantime, you may try the below steps, as even if the game is compatible with your system hardware it may have a slow performance because you are using the Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 as the OS uses most of the CPU & graphics card usage, you might want to reduce the visual effects for windows to save the amount of CPU & Graphics card usage required to run your game properly.

Here's how you do it:

· Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.

· Type performance > choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.

· In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.

· click Apply and ok.

If you don't like the way windows looks after the above step, you might want to consider upgrading your RAM (Memory card)

Then try playing different games and check. If it still does not work, try playing the game at a reduced frame rate and check.

• Please uninstall the ACPI battery drivers from device manager.
  • Reset all power plans to factory defaults and then select high-performance option power from power options from this link: http://hp.care/2rUUbXB
  • Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand display adapters>then select the display drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.
  • Check the box that states delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios chipset and graphic drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2syreDe and follow the on-screen instructions.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Cheers Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

FDorna
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! Thanks for your answer.

Before I provide any feedback, I'd like to make something clear: these performance problems are NOT happening while I play on battery power. I always plug in my laptop when gaming. Also, when charging, I switch to High Performance power plan.

I've updated NVIDIA graphics drivers, installed all available updates in HP Support Assistant, and updated the HP BIOS.

This seemed to be a huge step backwards, since I feel that the FPS drops are more frequent and much more noticeable now, even though most of the time they "fix" themselves back pretty fast. Still, it gets kind of hard playing a game that randomly drops to maybe 20 FPS for 3 seconds. These mini-freezes are way too frequent.

I've also made sure the game runs with the NVIDIA card and not the Intel 530.

I've went to NVIDIA's control panel and made sure all features are best adjusted for performance.

I also reduce all games' in-game settings and reduce to another 16:9 resolution (I play fullscreen, 60 refresh rate)

Just tried the "Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows"  tip you provided.

GTA(which I use as test game)'s problem persists. After this post is sent, I'm moving on to the last tip you gave met even though I think I might've already covered it by using the support assistant and installing the latest BIOS.

I'd also like to add something I noticed when updating the HP BIOS:

HP's BIOS update guide warns that the laptop's fans might turn on and off, but when I started the BIOS install, the fans started working at a speed (and sound) I've never seen or heard before, not even when playing high demanding games like GTA V on high graphics settings and 1980x1080 resolution.

I rarely feel the OMEN heat up too much, and most of the time, its fans remain ninja-silent (I can still hear them run, but never as close as when the BIOS got installed). Could the problem be related to this?

0 Kudos
DavidSMP
Retired
Retired
12,360 12,338 1,169 2,504
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Dorna,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. II thank you for your great response. You've displayed infinite patience, fabulous skills coupled with an indefatigable spirit to resolve the issue. Kudos to you for a job well done. It has been an absolute privilege to have shared this platform with you and to work with you. 🙂

It is fabulous to have worked with you and to share this platform with you. You've shown uncanny skills and profound technical expertise to resolve it. It is greatly appreciated. 🙂 To answer your question, no the problem is not related to that. The problem could be related to a gradually degrading battery that completes each cycle with a charge and discharge and runs through several such cycles which complete a life cycle of the battery and finally the battery needs to be replaced. But your PC does not require a battery replacement at this time. It would at some point in time in the future.

Trust me I've done all I can to help you here. It has been an absolute privilege to have worked with you and to share this platform. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Do take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
12,656 12,436 1,305 4,259
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@FDorna

It sounds like you are still having issues with fps drops in your gaming still, is this correct?

Did you update to the latest driver from nvidia directly? They have been having issues with this very thing. A while back, the fix was to uninstall and revert to an earlier driver from a couple months ago. The Creators update did not help us at all.

Here is the latest fix...

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4522

You have to completley uninstall the old driver and restart first before installing the new one.

You might want to follow along on the Nvidia forum for further updates to this issue and ask a few questions to them also.

Hope it helps.

FDorna
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi. Thanks for your answer! I'll try it right away.

Also, I'd like to add that, fooling around with some of the in-game GTA 5 settings, found that VSync really helped me fix the FPS drops. It reduced them to almost none at all. I don't even know why

0 Kudos
am1re
Level 3
34 24 0 10
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You need to ge 150w ac adapter form hp, because of gtx965m. It need 150w.

120w adapter is for gtx960m

0 Kudos
Photoray002
Level 15
Level 15
12,656 12,436 1,305 4,259
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@am1re   I see what you are referring to now.

Page 26 of the manual.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05356862

Ya I will have to agree. If you are using the Nvidia 965m and only have 120w AC adapter, you need to get the 150W.

HP should replace it for you.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation