Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 17-cb0011nv
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, i have an OMEN by HP 17-cb0011nv. My system has all the latest Windows system updates, Microsoft store updates and HP Support Assistant updates.

My System BIOS is F.07 (the default BIOS since i first bought it).

I have never updated the BIOS for two reasons:

Firstly, because the HP Support Assistant never showed me suggestions for BIOS Update.

Secondly  because many others who updated manually even to the latest BIOS (F.25 Rev.A), had problems with the screen brightness (see here: My Hp Omen screen dimmed immediately after the last BIOS update ).  

So, my questions are: 

1. Why don't i have suggestions for BIOS Updates via HP Support Assistant?

2. How can i safely update to the latest BIOS manually, without risking having the problem with the dimmed screen?  

3. When i play games the CPU temperatures can go above 90°C, even with a cooling pad. So i had to disable Intel Turbo Boost by modifying the maximum processor state to 99%. If I update the BIOS will i see any difference in the CPU temperatures? 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@geophi 

I cannot guarantee anything, but I will offer what I can which will hopefully be more than what the HP bot answers will offer. Hope it helps.

Most of the Experts here do NOT advocate using the Support Assistant for updating the bios. Sometimes it has been know to make a mistake and cause irreversible issues. Same thing goes for Windows updates which has been known to push a bios update also.

Always check your drivers page for bios updates.

2. How can i safely update to the latest BIOS manually, without risking having the problem with the dimmed screen?  

HP did come out with a patch for that. The link you referenced had questions that ended around Jan 2020. HP was having to do a personal connection with users and apply the patch. But my understanding now is the patch has been applied since F.24 back in March. The current update is F.25  sp102424.exe from April and will contain all the previous patches from the earlier updates. I haven't noticed any complaints about it since then.

3. When i play games the CPU temperatures can go above 90°C, even with a cooling pad. So i had to disable Intel Turbo Boost by modifying the maximum processor state to 99%. If I update the BIOS will i see any difference in the CPU temperatures? 

No guarantees what so ever. There is no mention in the bios update notes about a fix for overheating either.

If you drew one of the units that runs hot, The fixes you have done already will most likely need to be continued. That is the best I can offer.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@geophi 

I cannot guarantee anything, but I will offer what I can which will hopefully be more than what the HP bot answers will offer. Hope it helps.

Most of the Experts here do NOT advocate using the Support Assistant for updating the bios. Sometimes it has been know to make a mistake and cause irreversible issues. Same thing goes for Windows updates which has been known to push a bios update also.

Always check your drivers page for bios updates.

HP did come out with a patch for that. The link you referenced had questions that ended around Jan 2020. HP was having to do a personal connection with users and apply the patch. But my understanding now is the patch has been applied since F.24 back in March. The current update is F.25  sp102424.exe from April and will contain all the previous patches from the earlier updates. I haven't noticed any complaints about it since then.

No guarantees what so ever. There is no mention in the bios update notes about a fix for overheating either.

If you drew one of the units that runs hot, The fixes you have done already will most likely need to be continued. That is the best I can offer.

HP Recommended

@Photoray002

Thank you so much for your answers, they where most helpful.

I realise that BIOS updates are crucial and i will attempt to update manually to version F.25 and have my fingers crossed.

As far as the high cpu temperatures issue, when i saw your answer that i drew one of the units that runs hot, immediately i heard in my head the music theme from "Curb Your Enthusiasm". Anyway i wanted to ask you if you think is a good idea to try and install Throttlestop or any other similar software to resolve the issue.

HP Recommended

Bios updates are crucial is rather subjective sometimes. They are if you really need them, they do offer security updates depending on how you use your PC. But at the same time if a bios update goes south as its updating, it can turn your PC into a paperweight. Some of us adhere to the idea, if it ain't broke don't fix it. So use your best judgement.

ThrottleStop is alright. But what you have already done with the Max Performance setting in power management should be sufficient. Either way, you will also loose some performance when doing so.

You can also try lowering the settings in the games you play to reduce the heat.

Lower CPU power usage will drop some FPS, or lower game settings will drop some of the eye candy. You have to decide what works best in your situation.

Know that laptops will run hotter than a desktop also. They cannot cool as efficiently as a nice roomy tower with a big heat sink. CPU's can handle heat better than what some people on the internet claim they do. But I personally don't want mine running in the 90's "non stop". Just my opinion... 😉 

HP Recommended

@Photoray002

"If it ain't broken don't fix it". I couldn't agree with you more. I absolutely love how this laptop runs right now, giving me zero problems apart from the issue with the temperatures which is perfectly understandable for a gaming laptop like you rightly described. So i will leave it alone to do it's job and worry about only if i come across a serious issue.

Again thank you so much for your valuable info.

HP Recommended

Your welcome. Let us know if you have other questions some day.

Good luck. 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.