Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming 15-ec0022ax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This problem happens after the latest BIOS update recommended by HP Support Assistant for my laptop (F.08 Rev.A).

Every time I play a game, after a few minutes the fan runs at maximum speed and then the system suddenly sleeps/hibernates. It does not fully shut down, because after I turn it on again, all my programs are still running—including the game. I checked the temperature and it was normal, so I figure that it's not overheating.

Please fix this ASAP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I heard that a new BIOS has been released. Try installing it to resolve the shutdown issue.

CVA info - https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp108501-109000/sp108789.cva

Download - https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp108501-109000/sp108789.exe

PS: marked as solution to give the post more visibility.

I am HP Employee

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hey man I have the same problem, I reset the laptop and it still shuts down. I tried to roll back the BIOS update but it keeps saying that it can't find the previous versions of BIOS. I've seen someone else also face the same problem back in 2019 June but there was no solution to them either on the forums. I think one of the ways to solve it is by downloading the previous version of the BIOS and installing it but i don't know what's the previous version is and I couldn't find it.

HP Recommended

The support page for my laptop has the previous BIOS version that can be downloaded.

https://support.hp.com/id-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-gaming-15-ec0000-laptop-pc-series/29322...

However, it turns out that the installer cannot install a downgrade! I am still waiting for the solution.

HP Recommended

I also got this issue and I opened Event Viewer -> Custom Views -> Administrative Events
and found this Error: 
Kernel-Power Event ID: 88 Task Category: 85
The system was hibernated due to a critical thermal event.
Hibernate Time = ‎2020‎-‎08‎-‎03T08:11:29.392464100Z
ACPI Thermal Zone = \_TZ.THRM
_HOT = 373K
this happened with my device while playing NBA2k20 with a temperature of 81°C 

HP Recommended

Same. Before the update, my laptop has never had problem when it comes to this. But now after the BIOS update, my laptop keeps on locking itself Everytime I either play, Rainbow Six Siege or Grand Theft Auto 5, or Call Of Duty Modern Warfare, and may I specified, I have a gaming computer too so.

HP needs to give us a solution cause I'm starting to run out of options and I don't think I'm gonna want to use a laptop that keeps locking itself off for no reason. I did not but this $723 Pavilion Gaming Laptop just for it to mess up over a BIOS update! 

HP please fix this ASAP.

-Yael Soto

HP Recommended

I checked Event Viewer for this problem. The sudden hibernation is listed in Administrative Events as Event 88:

The system was hibernated due to a critical thermal event.
Hibernate Time = ‎2020‎-‎08‎-‎03T16:51:59.527256700Z
ACPI Thermal Zone = \_TZ.THRM
_HOT = 373K

- rkup 37<lt;up 3Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" /> 
  <EventID>88</EventID> 
  <Version>0</Version> 
  <Level>2</Level> 
  <Task>85</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x8000000000000020</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-08-03T16:51:59.5281813Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>753</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="9484" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Computer>Investiture</Computer> 
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="ThermalZoneDeviceInstanceLength">9</Data> 
  <Data Name="ThermalZoneDeviceInstance">\_TZ.THRM</Data> 
  <Data Name="HibernateTime">2020-08-03T16:51:59.5272567Z</Data> 
  <Data Name="_HOT">373</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

Not sure what these means though.

HP Recommended

Hahaha HP solution must be BiOs ReCovErY, wIn + B, UpdAtE DrIvEr, and many others common things we had done to solve this issue that DIDN'T WORK AT ALL. This issue about sleep/hibernate when playing games literally happens to all of us that update BIOS to version F.08. The cause from sleep/hibernate is the temperature that reaches 100 Celcius (from Event Viewer), it can even damage the hardware inside the laptop. HP FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY

HP Recommended

I have the same issue right now:(

Did you try to donwgrade the bios?

If your know how to downgrade the bios ,please describe in comment

Thanks

HP Recommended

I can confirm that F.08 version is buggy and causes problems such as ;

Slow battery charging 
Random shutdowns / hibernations
Slow booting
Crashes
Higher temperatures than normal (probably sends more voltage than needed to the CPU)

The bios update is buggy, you can't roll back due to a ''feature'' added with it which doesn't let you roll back bios AT ALL

Call HP Support, tell them about the update causing problems. They can't roll it back, even if you send the laptop in for repairs. Insist that the BIOS update is the problem and has to be investigated by development team. 

NOTHING THEY ADVISE YOU WILL FIX THE ISSUE. THE UPDATE IS FAULTY.

HP Recommended

Im facing the same problem when i play counter strike. Did anyone find a solution for this yet ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.