Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 15-dc0096nd
Other

Hi,

I'm writing this post after about a year of problems with my HP Omen 15 Gaming Laptop, which was my first gaming laptop. I've owned this laptop for a little over a year now, bought in february of 2019, and used it for mostly gaming, but also programming assignments for college. The laptop is lovely, but has had quite a few hiccups here and there, which have been getting worse as time progressed.

For the first month, the computer ran great, no problems whatsoever. After a month of purchase, the power adapter short circuited, for which I got a replacement. At about the same time, I got a weird audio bug that still persists to this day (crackling on left audio output). The laptop also has some heating issues, hitting 90-95 degrees when gaming, but I've read online that the Omen series laptops are prone to overheating. My laptop seems particularly vulnerable to dust accumulation around the fans, as I've had to dust them out twice already (I do have a clean work environment for the record).

After about 4 months I've been getting bsod's, seemingly random. I do not only get those when putting the laptop under heavy load, and I've seen a dozen different bsod errors pass by now, not just a single one. At this moment, I had returned to the shop that I bought the laptop at, and asked them to take a look at it. They found nothing out of the ordinary, the bsod's continued nonetheless. In september, I started in college, for which I had to make my system a dualboot between Windows 10 and linux/ubuntu. Linux was installed on the second harddrive, rather than the ssd Windows is installed on.

As of the day before yesterday, my Windows started freezing about 10 minutes after boot, for which the only way to get out of it is holding the power button. I tried to boot on ubuntu, yet encountered the same problem. This freezing is random, and only happens sometimes. I ran some tests, such as chkdsk, memutil stuff and a memory check, and the last one pointed out that I had memory issues that I had to sort out with the manufacturer.

My question is; is this normal for a gaming laptop that's only a year old, put under a reasonable and expected load of roughly 4 hours gaming and 6-8 hours normal use per day?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Sam_Vypre It's not normal as such, that said, here are a few steps that should help us identify and resolve the issue:

Step 1: Run hardware diagnostic tests

Make sure the issue is not hardware related by performing diagnostic tests.

1. In Windows, search for and open the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows app.

If the app is not installed on your computer, download the latest version from the HP Hardware Diagnostics website.

2. On the main menu, click System Tests.

3. Click the System Fast Test tab.

4. Click Run once.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component displays on the screen.

5. If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) and contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in the Test Logs on the main menu.

If no system component failed, continue with these steps.

6. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostic app, click System Test, and then click System Extensive Test. The Extensive Test might take several hours to complete.

• If an issue is not found, continue to the next step.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO STEP 2 ONWARD

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.