Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen 15-dc1069
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have come across this issue for sometime and unable to find any fix. The computer would be running normally but sometimes after the display goes off (for instance my setting is after 2 minutes of inactivity), it does not display again. The screen is completely turned off, no light all black screen. The computer becomes unresponsive. How? The caps lock light does not turn off and on anymore, the fan speed increases and after staying like this for a while the computer reboots.
I thought there might be a problem with my harddrive. So I removed my sata SSD, if it was causing the issue. This happend again. So I removed my PCIe SSD and installed windows on Sata drive and the problem still presist. I have even tried different version of Windows such 1809, 1903 and 1909 and have seen the problem occuring on each of it. I did a complete fresh install and didn't install any softwares that might be causing this error and still came across this issue.
I have also tried, HP Image Enhancement for System Logon - sp81965 and it didn't help either.

The laptop is in warranty but I cannot claim it because I live in third world and asked a friend who was coming from USA to buy me this on black friday. I'm unable able to find the issue, is it a hardware problem, if yes, what component might be failing? I have used this laptop for extensive hours of gaming and it wouldn't cause a problem. Leave it on idle and wait for the display to go off and the laptop reboots.
Even  in Event Viewer, I'm unable to find the problem. The erros go in order like this:
1. The previous system shutdown at 17:18:34 on ‎07/‎03/‎2020 was unexpected. (Event ID: 6008)

2. The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. (Event ID: 41)

3. The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xffff8601ca180010, 0xfffff8012219bbb0, 0xffffffffc000009a, 0x0000000000000004). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: bc4d06cb-2db0-4b89-8b85-7bbf2a14296b. (Event ID: 1001)

The shutdowns are completly random. There is no periodic time after this would occur.
The issue cannot be of display because I have tried connecting to another display via HDMI and since it restarts on its on and become unresponsive and the problem still occurs.

If I turn off automatic restart from Start-up and Recovery setting in Advanced System settings, the computer would stay in idle state of being unresponsive and I've to force hard shutdown by holding the power button for 7 seconds.

If you're able to diagnose the problem from this information please let me know. Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After extensive usage and trying multiple things I have finally found the solution.
I made an educated guess that something was wrong with my NVIDIA’s display driver. So, I completely uninstalled it using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). This time, I only installed latest version of NVIDIA’s Studio Driver from their official website without downloading GeForce first. I also thought Game Ready Driver might be causing the issue because it gets updated very frequently and has a higher chance of containing a bug that might be causing the problem.
I used it for an extensive period and it did not cause me any kind of trouble so I believed, Game Driver was something that caused the issue but somewhere I also thought that this can’t be true because such a huge brand cannot cause such a problem. Anyways, I installed GeForce again and everything was back to normal.

One day, I got an update for my display driver and installed it. After some time, the problem arose again.
This time I downloaded Whocrashed (crash dump analyser) to read the dump files that have been created during unexpected shutdowns. Every dump file that has ever been created on my computer showed that there was something wrong with nvlddmkm.sys has been causing the issue.

I googled to find the problem on NVIDIA’s forum, but it didn’t really help. So, I checked what drivers I have of NVIDIA’s. Turns out with every display driver update via GeForce, it also installs three more drivers; PhysX, HD Audio Driver and USB Type-C driver. I uninstalled one driver at a time to find out which one might be causing the issue. And boom it was USB Type-C driver. As soon as I uninstalled it the problem never occurred again.

If you come across a similar problem, just uninstall NVIDIA’s USB Type-c driver. Thank You.

Here’s few things I want to share after this experience.

• Studio Driver and Game Ready Diver does the same thing. The Game Ready driver tends to have optimization for latest games. If you are not playing very latest games, stick with Studio Driver because it is more stable and is updated less frequently.
  • If you come across any problem and you are unable to find a fix for it. Try the following.

1. Search for Advanced System Settings in search box.
    2. Click the “Settings” under “Start-Up and Recovery”
    3. Select Automatic Memory Dump under Write Debugging Information
    4. Use any dump file analyser, I personally found Whocrashed to be very easy and useful.

This will tell you the root cause of the problem or at least identify which driver or program is causing an issue.
  • Once you have done the previous step, and unable to find a solution, try contacting HP Support, it make be easier from them to identify the problem and also they are very professional and put their best effort to satisfy their customers.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Madara13199

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Appreciate you trying the steps. I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I appreciate you reply. But the problem is that I live in third world and there is no HP Support in my region and I would not like to hand my computer to someone who doesn’t has enough expertise because it might void the warranty or make the issue worse.

HP Recommended

@Madara13199

May I know where are you located? I will check if there is any available service options in your region

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Lahore, Pakistan.
There's one store named COMPSI who claim to be official HP Service Partners but they said they only deal with Singaporean Warranty.

HP Recommended

@Madara13199

I will escalate your concerns to the appropriate team. We will need few information

I have sent you a private message. Please reply back with the requested information

Please check your private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

After extensive usage and trying multiple things I have finally found the solution.
I made an educated guess that something was wrong with my NVIDIA’s display driver. So, I completely uninstalled it using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). This time, I only installed latest version of NVIDIA’s Studio Driver from their official website without downloading GeForce first. I also thought Game Ready Driver might be causing the issue because it gets updated very frequently and has a higher chance of containing a bug that might be causing the problem.
I used it for an extensive period and it did not cause me any kind of trouble so I believed, Game Driver was something that caused the issue but somewhere I also thought that this can’t be true because such a huge brand cannot cause such a problem. Anyways, I installed GeForce again and everything was back to normal.

One day, I got an update for my display driver and installed it. After some time, the problem arose again.
This time I downloaded Whocrashed (crash dump analyser) to read the dump files that have been created during unexpected shutdowns. Every dump file that has ever been created on my computer showed that there was something wrong with nvlddmkm.sys has been causing the issue.

I googled to find the problem on NVIDIA’s forum, but it didn’t really help. So, I checked what drivers I have of NVIDIA’s. Turns out with every display driver update via GeForce, it also installs three more drivers; PhysX, HD Audio Driver and USB Type-C driver. I uninstalled one driver at a time to find out which one might be causing the issue. And boom it was USB Type-C driver. As soon as I uninstalled it the problem never occurred again.

If you come across a similar problem, just uninstall NVIDIA’s USB Type-c driver. Thank You.

Here’s few things I want to share after this experience.

• Studio Driver and Game Ready Diver does the same thing. The Game Ready driver tends to have optimization for latest games. If you are not playing very latest games, stick with Studio Driver because it is more stable and is updated less frequently.
  • If you come across any problem and you are unable to find a fix for it. Try the following.

1. Search for Advanced System Settings in search box.
    2. Click the “Settings” under “Start-Up and Recovery”
    3. Select Automatic Memory Dump under Write Debugging Information
    4. Use any dump file analyser, I personally found Whocrashed to be very easy and useful.

This will tell you the root cause of the problem or at least identify which driver or program is causing an issue.
  • Once you have done the previous step, and unable to find a solution, try contacting HP Support, it make be easier from them to identify the problem and also they are very professional and put their best effort to satisfy their customers.
HP Recommended

@Madara13199

Thanks for the update

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.