Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Ok I'll try doing the system recovery right now.

And i have no idea wheter or not I made any recovery media when the PC was new.
HP Recommended
Ok i pressed system recovery and it just boots into the same choose anoption screen with the options continue, use a device, Troubleshoot, Turn off your PC.

Does that mean it didn't work?
HP Recommended
I went into troubleshoot just for the heck of it and it has new options, "Reset this PC" under that it says "lets you choose to keep or remove personal files and then reinstalls windows", it also has two other buttons "recovery manager" and "advanced options" .

Should i choose the Reset PC because it sounds closest to what you were describing
HP Recommended

You can try the option to keep files in the reset, but it will still remove your programs, games.

If the files you lose are not important, then just opt to remove everything and start new.

HP Recommended
Trying to reset the PC right now.

It says "Additional free space is needed on the drive where Windows is installed. Free up some space and try again." (My SSD drive is pretty much full on the PC)

I don't understand why I would need to free up space when I'm deleting all my apps and files.

Is there any way to free up some space or is this just a sign that the hard drive is not working properly?
HP Recommended

Are you using an SSD? The specs say it came with only a 1TB HDD unless you upgraded it?

How big was it and how much free space was left?

Try restarting and rapidly tapping F11 for the recovery window after you hit the power button.

Then  opt to remove everything and start over. It will reformat the C drive and reinstall.

This is why its better to have the recovery media to boot from.

HP Recommended
My computer has a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD.

I have two options on the last "reset this PC" one is "just remove my files" which is what i pressed last time and it says to choose that one if you are planning on keeping your PC. And there is a "Fully clean the drive" and it says to do if you plan to recycle the PC and it says it takes several hours.

Should i choose "Fully clean the drive" even if I plan to keep the PC?
HP Recommended

Wiping everything will reset the computer back to factory settings by reinstalling Windows. It will be just like it was when you first bought it. Thats what it means to recycle if you plan to give the computer away. But on a side note, any personal data could still be recoverable by a person who knows how to do it. Just so you know.

HP Recommended
Either way if I tell it to fully clean the PC it comes up with the same message saying additional space is needed and that I need to free up some space before I try again.

Also I told it I wanted to clean both my drives should I try telling it to only clean the drive where windows is installed?
HP Recommended

NO. Why would you want to wipe your 2nd drive also???

Only wipe the C drive that Windows is on.

If it still wont run the recovery after that, you have other problems and will need to contact HP Support for warranty service.

If they repair the PC, burn your recovery media onto a USB drive when you get it  back so you wont have a problem if you have to reinstall again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.