Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming 15-dk10000 Laptop PC (8VD49AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently had a blue screen error code 0xc0000098, blue screen disappeared, laptop restarted and now I only have a black screen. When I press the power button all it does is a slow steady flash but the screen still remains black. I can still access the BIOS screen performing a repeat press of the ESC button while attempting to start up with  screen black and when I ran the extensive test I received a hard drive/SSD short DST check: WARNING message. Is there any ways to fix this without doing a hard drive replacement?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @B-Smith1 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

DST is drive self test. This means that the seekread and write operations can no longer be performed reliably due to technical errors. 

Recommendation and solution

The hard disk urgently needs to be replaced ! A later access to the hard disk via a SATA-to-USB adapter is still possible. However, it cannot be guaranteed that you can access all data.

Windows operating system must be installed on new hard drive using HP Cloud Recovery or Official Setup from Microsoft

HP warranty valid -> Contact HP Support for service repair

HP warranty expired:

If you can't do that, you should have it serviced by a professional notebook (chip level) repair store.

Good luck

Kind regards

HP Recommended

I had a close family member that services computers/laptops and had swapped out hard drives and still no lucl. It appears as I'm being told the hard drive can not be recognized. I myself had tried to perform the USB recovery option and switching boot priorities. The USB is read, but when selected it goes back to the black screen. Almost like it's stuck on a constant loop. (Power button to turn device on, screen lights up as a light black screen as if it was booting, then shuts back off to dark black screen) Nothing happens when USB is selected. The current BIOS is at T.06. It has the option to revert to the old BIOS or update BIOS. Revert os the same as current BIOS and when selecting update it states "image can not be selected".

HP Recommended

Hello @B-Smith1 

(1) Double check with external monitor connected via vga/hdmi cable. Same <black screen> on external monitor ?

- Power off notebook (press and hold <power> button until notebook switches off )

- Power off external monitor

- Connect vga/hdmi cable

- Power on external monitor

- Power on notebook

(2Please report your results

HP Recommended

With the laptop HDMI to HDMI into an external monitor, no screen is displayed. However, when the laptop power button flashes to the on, it is recognized that there is an external device plugged in on the external monitor. Then when the laptop self turns off it doesn't show on the external monitor that anything is plugged in. As if the laptop is stuck in a loop restart or power on/power off loop. 

HP Recommended

Hello @B-Smith1 

Thanks for reporting.

As I wrote before you should have your notebook serviced

Kind regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.