Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN HP - 17-an061tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all 

I just recently bought this Omen 17 of Ebay. I received it on a Friday so over the weekend it seemed fine but after my first day back at work when I got home and fired it up. It came up with a grey screen at first then that went to a black screen a couple of days after.Goes between both really black and grey. Funny thing is when I received I thought is strange that when I turned it on that it booted straight into windows with chrome installed. Sent seller a message said he has had no problem with it. The laptop looks new still.

What i've done is reinstalled windows twice through recovery and downloaded onto a USB. Plus factory reset through HP recovery. Tried the disable app readiness updated all drivers done all the hardware test with no problems.

Secondary screen works when the screen is black. Also just seems to happen after it has been left for a while (Evening till next morning or when I get home from work) Once I get it up and running (which is just holding the power down for four seconds) and it has been on for a while I can restart and shutdown without a problem.

Hope someone can help

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It sound like the system is going into SLEEP MODE and not reactivating the video driver. A Microsoft issue going back to ME.

So try this

1)  Settings>System>Power & Sleep Set Sleep to NEVER

then

2) Click Windows and All Programs Scroll to Windows System Folder> Command Prompt Right Click >More>Run As Admin

then when the black Command prompt window opens put this in there.

powercfg -h off

It will delete the hidden protected hibernation sleep file.

You can set the power settings to turn off the monitor after so many minutes and other items. However Sleep/hibernation has always been an issue with Windows so best to disable. But if it goes into hibernation and the video driver cant be woke up then you will get that screen. Hope it works.   

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

@Clarkie52,

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the display on your computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If you continue facing the issue, then boot to BIOS with tapping the F10 key on startup and check whether you are able to duplicate the issue in the BIOS screen.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi 

Much appreciate the reply back

What I've done so far

Reinstalled windows 3 times. 1 x usb  2 x recovery

Disconnected the battery 

Removed memory

Updated bios F.20

Updated display drivers 27.21.14.5148

Disabled app readiness

Updated Windows

Recovery and bios no problem displaying the screen. I turned it on this morning the screen was grey and I and I watched the screen go black into sleep mode . Moved the mouse and the screen woke up'

Just got home from work turned it on and the screen was black this time. Same I left it for 15 minutes red power light flashing as normal but would not wake up this time. Plugged secondary display in and rebooted Omen from that and screen came on.

Trying to give as much detail as possible

Really appreciate your help

HP Recommended

@Clarkie52

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hi

I just finished doing another fresh install without downloading or connecting to the net. I just put the Omen in sleep mode and when I tried to wake it up the whole screen was flashing dots in different colors. Never seen that before and then I shut it down  and it just went back to black screen  on  boot and would not wake up until I held the power button down for 7 seconds and then the screen come on. 

Cheers

HP Recommended

@Clarkie52

I understand your concerns.

Please perform the below steps on the computer to run a System Test

- Shut down/Turn off the computer

- Once the computer is completely Shut down/Turned off

- Now press the power button once to turn on the computer and immediately start pressing/tapping the F2 key on the keyboard

- This should open the UEFI Diagnostic screen on the computer

- Please select System Test and then select ExtensiveTest

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Deleted

HP Recommended

@Clarkie52,

Did you run the system test on the computer?

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Fossette

I ran it late yesterday afternoon it went for 6 hours and it all passed.

It was going ok for a day after I reset on Saturday night. I never updated anything after reset so wondering if something updated in the background yesterday afternoon. I will try a system restore when I get home from work later. I created a couple of restore points. Will keep you posted.

Edit

Done a couple of restore points and still the same. When I close and open the lid sometimes it wakes other times it doesn't .

Tried in recovery opening and closing the lid and it stays on without a problem.

Cheers

HP Recommended

Sometimes I get this screenSometimes I get this screen@The_Fossette

Just testing some more.

On mains power when I open the lid the keyboard lights up and goes to login window on all the tests I've done so far

On battery power when I open it the keyboard lights up then goes out and power light flashes and there is a delay to get into the login window.

I have to close the lid again or press either the two mouse buttons on the laptop. The wireless mouse does not respond on battery power but the wireless mouse does respond when running on mains power after opening the lid and this is all random. sometimes it goes to login screen normal but most parts it doesn't.

And I've had this screen about 3 times. Just happened now after opening the lid. All coloured dots and flashing screen

Cheers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.