Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 15-ce0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there dear community.

I use an HP Omen laptop, the screen of it was damaged unfortunately, so I had to remove the display. I use it now with a TV, through the HDMI port of the laptop. They work together, but only if I use them in a certain way.

If I turn on the laptop, it comes up with the boot startup, that is displayed on the TV, then the screen switches and the Omen logo appears on the center of the screen, meaning it will load Windows 10 1-2 seconds later, but when this happens, the screen goes black. Windows is loaded in the background, but I can't see anything as the screen is black (there is no mouse either). Using the screen switching button combination is not working here (FN + F3, or Windows key + P). It just switches to black and stays in black, no matter how many times I switch it, I know how this should work, but it just isn't.

The only way I can solve this, is that I need to turn off the TV, to be exact I need to unplug the TV power plug as turning it off is not enough, as it still communicates. So I unplug the power cable of the TV, and only after that I turn on the laptop. It loads the boot startup, but I can't see anything of course. If I wait a little more, maybe 10 seconds or more (I can hear the fans started to spin faster), then I can plug back the power plug of the TV, and voila, the screen shows the Windows 10 login page, it works. But only if I do it this way.

What could be the reason of my problem? I saw that by some laptops in the BIOS you can add priority to the HDMI port to be the main/first display device. Unfortunately the BIOS of my HP Omen is not including this, or it is hidden. I searched on Youtube and on various forums, but nobody seem to have the exact problem that I have.

Can you help me with this please? Thank you. 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Not sure If I can help, but Ill offer a suggestion.

Just to be sure, F3 without the FN key does not work either, correct?

Instead of unplugging the TV, can you just unplug the HDMI cord until the laptop is fully started to get Windows to show on the TV?

Also, assuming you have an NVIDIA graphics card, did you go into the NVIDIA Control Panel and set the TV as the primary/only monitor?

You should be able to right click the desktop and set the monitor in Windows Display settings also.

Does this make any difference?

HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for you answer.

I tried it with F3 alone, but that is not working at all, it needs the FN buttons too. But as I wrote earlier they are not solving the problem, sadly.

Unplugging HDMI cord instead: this also fixes it, as the point is as I see is that the communication between the TV and the laptop needs to be interrupted/unavailable. I used this method for a I while when I had this problem the first time, then I found out that unplugging the power cable of the TV is a better option, because unplugging the HDMI a lot of times might harm/deform the small pins of the HDMI soon. (I needed to replace an HDMI cord because of that.)

Nvidia Control Panel: In it the only option is the TV (naming it "SAMSUNG"), it is not showing up any other monitors.

Windows Display Settings: This is little different. It shows two monitors. Number #1 is an unknown monitor and I can't change anything on it (for example screen resolution), maybe this is how Windows would expect an original monitor there, but there isn't any so the settings are blank. And Number #2 display is the Samsung TV, for it you can change the settings. All I can do here is that I can extend the display between the "two" displays, which doesn't make any sense, and the other thing is that you can choose which of the two monitors should be the primary, but Number #2 (the TV) is already selected as primary.

Any further idea? 🙂

HP Recommended

I'm really not sure. You already removed the display, so that's not an issue.

HP bios are very locked down and you wont find the options that other pc's might have.

Do you have another HDMI cable to test with? If you are using a really long HDMI cord, it might be a problem.

That's about all I can think of at this point.

HP Recommended

When the problem first happened, I had a little longer HDMI cable, it was 5 meters long (or 8?). It had the same problem, but I used it unplugging the HDMI connector always at startupts. Then after some time the pins on the HDMI connector started to deform so it started to not connect properly, then little later it was not recognised anymore at all. Then I bought an other HDMI cable (3 meters long) that I am currently using. It works the same with the same problem (that I wrote in my first post), and I won't think 3 meters is that long for an HDMI. 😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.