Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Laptop 17-ck0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I first got this laptop about 3 weeks ago, the first thing I did was look at its performance, no programs downloaded (besides OMEN Gaming Hub and other default programs) and noticed that my CPU was idling (0%-1% usage) at 102°F, and my GPU at 105°F. I thought nothing of the high temperatures because I assumed Laptop CPUs are used to this temperature range. Even when I max the fans out at 5100RPM, the CPU temperature drops only as low as 89°F. 

After playing some B03 I noticed that my temps were above 108°F and I was worried that prolonged high temperatures might negatively impact the longevity of my laptop, so I did some research only to find out that CPUs regularly operate at *HALF* of the temperature mine is at. I read somewhere that its possible the thermal compound on my CPU and GPU might be defective, or even worse, entirely absent. 

Iv removed several bloatware programs that were pre-installed on my Laptop (mcAfee, HP welcome center crap, etc), I don't run anything in the background except steam and discord, my startup is relatively clean, my laptop sits on an elevated cooling pad, and I always run the fans on full tilt if I'm doing something intensive like music production or gaming.

Is 100°F+ at idle bad, or am I totally misunderstanding safe laptop operating temperatures? 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

EDIT: I may or may not have been confusing Celsius with Fahrenheit  in some of the research I did 😕

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.