Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen by HP 17 Laptop PC
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi,

Just got my new Omen 17, which was delayed in Anchorage, AK for a few days on its way from China.  Upon starting very first time, I got warning message saying that the battery temperature was too low and that this could be overcome by normal operation.  So I just let it boot up to the windows screen and let Windows setup. Have not gotten this message again, but maybe it's related?

Windows then asked me to sign in to a Microsoft account, so I had to use a code to my email to remind me.  Attempting to enter this numerical code in the setup, I find out that keys 6-0 on the keyboard are not responsive.  I therefore had to use the on screen keyboard to enter any numbers in the subset {6, 7, 8, 9, 0}.  After, setup I used the HP keyboard diagnostic, and found out the affected subset of keys including numbers 6-0, the enter key, the  "`~" key on the left, top right insert key, top right page up key, and home key do not work with normal keystrokes.  I have tried uninstalling all drivers, updating drivers, hard reset (turn off, unplug, press power key for 60 seconds).  I later discovered that if I hold one of this set of keys down for a while, it will eventually work, and magically the other keys will be responsive again too (but not very well, sometimes only after three presses, sometimes very well).  In addition, sometimes the enter key or other keys will give me double hits with one hit.  Then other times this entire subset of key will just stop working.   So I know that the issue definitely affects them as a group, and no other keys (one stops working, the rest don't respond).  This issue does not affect outside keyboards (USB keyboard plugged in works fine).

Bad keyboard? Or is there a BIOS/software fix to this issue?

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi@victorius1, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

The below link contains a self-help document for the Keyboard setting for OMEN  keyboard .

Link :-https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04492013

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

I contacted tech support, and together we performed a BIOS keyboard hardware test.  The keyboard in this brand new Omen (365 days warranty left at the time of the call) is faulty.  Unfortunately, the options I was given are:

1) Wait more than a month longer for a replacement (they will have to receive this first, then ship another)??

2) Purchase a different available computer from the hp store.

3) extended warranty/HP store credit.

4) Refund

I have tried calling the "supervisor line for customer service" number provided by the customer service rep I spoke with after the technician, but this apparently was not any supervisor line at all: (**bleep**)444-8834.  This line just plays music all day long for me.  Does anyone have this "supervisor line for customer service" to follow-up on this with HP, or does it not exist actually?  Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.