Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN HP Laptop 17-cb0023nm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have brand new 2020 17 inch hp OMEN - it has i9 9880H CPU and Nvidia 2080 RTX GPU and 32GB RAM.

I have very big problems with overheating. The keypad is so hot, I can't normally use the lapotp while playing games (RB6). It is plain afwul.

OMEN shows 98-100 degrees celsius on CPU and 50-60 degrees celsius on GPU.

What can I do except return the product and buy different brand? This PC cost me 3000 € and I feel like HP shouldnt make half-products like this for this kind of money.

Shame on you.

Best regards,

MBO

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@MBO21 Welcome to HP Community!

Click here for steps to resolve overheating issues, you could try reducing the resolution on the in-game settings and switch the windows settings to performance rather than visual effects to make a minor change, however, the game may heat up your PC, hence make sure you are using a cooling pad as well, to be on a safer side.

Here's how you change windows settings:

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and Ok...this should do the trick.

I must let you know that its normal for a gaming PC to heat up, and with an Intel CPU such as the one you have, there's nothing to worry about, for details on why you don't need to worry: Click here to go through the CPU specifications, look under Tjunction of the CPU, it supports up to 100°C & that is normal.

You may want to get yourself a cooling pad, if you wish to get the device to cool down faster than its designed to.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Riddle,

currently, my machine is in repair and I hope for approved DOA. It has got other problems also: doesn’t start to charge the battery when you are using it on battery, and you connect it to charger when the power drops below 15%,
and in game fps drops to 5FPS (from 120), every other reboot. 
something is wrong. And yes, 100 degrees CPU is not OK, as also on notebookcheck under stress test it didnt raise above 80 degrees Celsius.

you must understand me, the computer is so hot,

it burned my hand. I had to put ointment on the wrist portion of the hand.

this could also be legal problem for HP, specially in USA. Cant be running around and injure your clients...

I am very very dissapointed. We are talking about 3500€ machine!

thank you for your answer though, at least someone tried. I still cant figure out if you are a autoreply though .....

HP Recommended

@MBO21 I'm not an auto-reply, and you are right, if the device is as hot as that (burning your hand), its definitely an issue, that said, I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP, Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information. 

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@MBO21 don't get you're hopes up I've had 4 laptops in a course of a year( link to video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulFpixXP3Cw) and not once could they repair it properly, continues overheating and all they can say is sorry for the inconvenience. they'll will use the excuse that it's costing HP to much after a while and will refuse to repair and replace your unit believe me, i'm speaking from personal experience.

Welcome back to another tech 4 life video, today I'll be giving you my experience with HP omens and the flaws in their design. I hope you'll enjoy the video. as much as I did making it. please share you're experience in the description. Single VS Dual Channel Memory(laptop version): ...
HP Recommended

Thank you for your imput. I totally agree with you.

My request for DOA was approved, and I got a full refund for the computer. But still, I was without one for 3 weeks and this was crazy! They contacted me from HP Slovenia (because they got the request from this forum) but I got just a generic reply like "we are sorry for the inconvenience we try to be the very best and we have arranged DOA for you". I asked to send my case to a manager, so they can see what kind of rubbish they sell for premium dollar, but I didn't get any reply back. 

I am using ASUS STRIX III now and it is very good laptop for now. I have been HP user for 15 years, but I guess this has come to an end now, sadly.

HP Recommended

Just seen this post, I also have a HP omen 2020 17 inch.

Did you try under bolting the CPU, it honestly makes a difference, I sit in the 70C range on my CPU (which is the same as yours) 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.