Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
OMEN 15-EN0023DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got this laptop (Omen 15-EN0023DX) and it seems to be extremely underperforming for its specs, which are:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics 2.90 GHz
GPU - NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Ti (Mobile)

RAM - 16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (1 x 16 GB)

Storage - 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

To quantitatively test my laptop's performance, I just used UserBenchmark which came up with these results:

https://imgur.com/a/HgAweln

UserBenchmarks: Game 28%, Desk 76%, Work 27%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H - 71%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660-Ti 6GB (Mobile) - 34.7%
SSD: Crucial P1 3D NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 181.3%
RAM: Adata 1x16GB - 38.1%
MBD: HP OMEN Laptop 15-en0xxx

Anyone know what could be causing these issues? Also, why do I have a single 16 GB stick of RAM instead of the 2 x 8 GB as advertised? Many thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Zir  where did you get the laptop from exactly? Was it directly from the HP store or via the internet and a 3rd party seller like CUK via Amazon?

Looks like you have a memory problem from the start. Your ram is supposed to be running at 3200 MHz, not 2667.  I would recommend running a tool like HWinfo and verify the ram info is correct. If its running below 3200 MHz, I would have it either exchanged, or contact HP Support for warranty service.  I wouldn't scoff at it being a single 16GB module, but the timing is obviously not correct.

If you contact HP, then explain the other issues also.

Contact HP Worldwide | HP® Official Site

HP Recommended

I got it from a third party vendor on Amazon. So it turns out that I got ripped off because I checked the model number and lo and behold, I got the 15-en0013dx instead of 15-en0023dx. I’m guessing that they swapped out the parts to look like the -23dx model and hoped that I wouldn’t notice, but I’ll be returning it soon.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Yep. Those 3rd party sellers do that a lot and people think they are getting original equipment. I try to warn users to not buy from them.

Good luck and let us know if you have other HP related questions in the future.

HP Recommended

Thanks for sharing such great information, I highly appreciate your hard-working skills as the post you published have some great information which is quite beneficial for me, I hope you will post more like that in the future

Upsers

HP Recommended

If your laptop is slow on the first startup, this may be due to system updates. For instance, a Windows 10 automatic update to bolster the security of the computer. You can't do much about these, but look on the bright side, your laptop security is current! Improved speed is a main reason to invest in a new laptop.

Upsers

HP Recommended

My daughter bought exactly the same Omen 15 as you did and when we started using it last night we ran into exactly the same issue you described.

The system did not have any meaningful CPU, SSD of GPU utilization  for that matter while it struggled getting Windows updates installed.

We started the Omen up on PSU since we where expecting that the battery would be low or empty (it was on 35% after unpacking). 

We managed to "fix" the slow behaviour by unplugging the power supply from the laptop by unplugging the lead while running from the case. After plugging the lead back in the connector it was lighting fast.

I am suspecting a BIOS bug that keeps the CPU on extreme low power consumption. 

Regards. Henno

HP Recommended

@Henno1  Thanks for the info. Its very possible the bios needs a fix if several of you are having the same slow performance problem.

The Omen DC0000 series had this issue and it was a combination of a bios update and updating the Omen Command Center (Game Hub). The bios was keeping the system running in a low power state via Comfort mode. May or may not be the same issue here.

Any of you with this problem would do best to contact HP Support directly and report the issue. They will make a case out of it and report it to the Omen team to be looked at.

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

HP Recommended

Mmm... directly contact HP... a virtual agent... no way to contact HP via mail or some sort of form.

HP Recommended

Im sorry,  most people are able to find it OK.

The Nederlands link is in Dutch. I assume you will be able to follow it?

https://support.hp.com/nl-nl/contact/laptops

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.