Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Pavillion Gaming Laptop 15DK0067CL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a brand new HP laptop that I have used for a few hours on the first day it arrived (yesterday).  I received an HP message on the screen that several updates were needed.  I started the updates last night.  It has been over 16 hours now and I still have a black screen w/cursor pointer and that is it.  The drive light flashing intermittently so I feel like it is doing something.  Is this normal and if not is there anything I can do?  Thank you for any help you can provide.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello, if it is the same update installing from 15 hours, no it is not normal.. If you press simultaneously Ctrl + Alt + Suppr key do you have an action?? Or the Windows key? 

If I have been answer to your question please accept it as a solution 🙂
I am Expert from French Community, and I am doing my best to help you with your question.

HP Recommended

I appreciate your help.  Ctrl+Alt+Windows keys had no effect.  I am a concerned about shutting down because I don't know what I'll wind up with.  I believe these are HP updates, not sure if Win 10 updates were included or not.  There was a list that said they were needed for security reasons.  I thought overnight would be a good time to do them.  I don't know if they are ever going to stop at this point.  Ctrl+Shift+Esc does pull up the Task Mgr and it shows Malwarebytes running as well as the Task Mgr.

Once I saw the Task Mgr I decided Win 10 was not the issue.  I powered off the laptop and waited a bit, turned it back on and all seems well.  Not sure what the issue was but so far so good.  

HP Recommended

You can't right clic on Malwarebytes to kill it? And CTRL + ALT + SUPPR, not Windows key?

I am Expert from French Community, and I am doing my best to help you with your question.

HP Recommended

I don't know what a SUPPR key is. I was assuming it was the Windows key.  Anyway, once I saw Windows was actually up and running I performed a power off, waited about 5 minutes, powered on, and all seems well.  Thank you for your help, Fanordi.

HP Recommended

I am very sorry, the Suppr key is the Del key in a QWERTY keyboard. 

HP Recommended

Good to know.  That would have definitely worked since the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys brought up the Task Mgr as well. Thanks again for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.