Donnieboy56
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Brand new laptop has been updating for 15 hours now

HP Recommended
Pavillion Gaming Laptop 15DK0067CL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a brand new HP laptop that I have used for a few hours on the first day it arrived (yesterday).  I received an HP message on the screen that several updates were needed.  I started the updates last night.  It has been over 16 hours now and I still have a black screen w/cursor pointer and that is it.  The drive light flashing intermittently so I feel like it is doing something.  Is this normal and if not is there anything I can do?  Thank you for any help you can provide.

6 REPLIES 6
Fanordi
Level 12
993 989 107 190
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, if it is the same update installing from 15 hours, no it is not normal.. If you press simultaneously Ctrl + Alt + Suppr key do you have an action?? Or the Windows key? 

If I have been answer to your question please accept it as a solution 🙂
I am Expert from French Community, and I am doing my best to help you with your question.

Donnieboy56
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I appreciate your help.  Ctrl+Alt+Windows keys had no effect.  I am a concerned about shutting down because I don't know what I'll wind up with.  I believe these are HP updates, not sure if Win 10 updates were included or not.  There was a list that said they were needed for security reasons.  I thought overnight would be a good time to do them.  I don't know if they are ever going to stop at this point.  Ctrl+Shift+Esc does pull up the Task Mgr and it shows Malwarebytes running as well as the Task Mgr.

Once I saw the Task Mgr I decided Win 10 was not the issue.  I powered off the laptop and waited a bit, turned it back on and all seems well.  Not sure what the issue was but so far so good.  

0 Kudos
Fanordi
Level 12
993 989 107 190
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can't right clic on Malwarebytes to kill it? And CTRL + ALT + SUPPR, not Windows key?

I am Expert from French Community, and I am doing my best to help you with your question.

0 Kudos
Donnieboy56
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't know what a SUPPR key is. I was assuming it was the Windows key.  Anyway, once I saw Windows was actually up and running I performed a power off, waited about 5 minutes, powered on, and all seems well.  Thank you for your help, Fanordi.

0 Kudos
Fanordi
Level 12
993 989 107 190
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am very sorry, the Suppr key is the Del key in a QWERTY keyboard. 

0 Kudos
Donnieboy56
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good to know.  That would have definitely worked since the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys brought up the Task Mgr as well. Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation