Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
04-26-2020 08:08 AM
About a a few months or so ago, my hinge started opening a bit stiffer than usual. I took extra care opening my laptop after that but just now a screw finally popped out from who knows where. Part of the right side of the display and the hinge is now open. And I cannot fully open or close this laptop. It still powers on (thank god). Please let me know on what steps I could do to fix this with the quarantine in place, I am a student and this is my only means of getting my work done. Thank you.
04-26-2020 09:49 AM
Had you asked for help when the hinge was stiff but still worked, I'd have recommended you stop opening and closing the computer to prevent further damage. Too late for that, but if the computer still works, you at least have use of the machine for the moment.
There is nothing for it except the computer must be repaired by HP or a professional repair depot. Damage of this type - to the extent where the hinge and display assembly are compromised (broken) - is not recommended for home repair or repair by a novice technician.
That said, you must decide how to proceed.
HP might ordinarily accept the computer for repair for products in warranty and perhaps even if the computer is out-of-warranty. The Response Centers are all jammed to capacity.
If the unit is in warranty, you may contact HP Technical Support. Be prepared to wait, possibly resubmit, wait some more.
If the computer is out-of-warranty, your options are different: Look for a local repair house that can accept and repair your computer for you. Be prepared to wait for parts, for service, for completion of the job.
What else? This is tough timing - purchase / rent / beg / borrow a computer to get you by during this time when everything is just so ratty difficult.
Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.
We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology
Stay Home - Stay Safe - Save Lives - Help a Friend (or Community member) in need!
Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn about your Device
NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System
Categories: Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more
When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic
Open Support Home
Enter the name of your device
HP Technical Support – Contact Information
HP Support does not publicly post contact numbers. Submit your case online
- Provide all the requested information
- Explain the problem > Ask for help
- Submit the case
- After the case is submitted, Contact information for your area will be displayed on your screen
- Wait times can be long – Response centers are very busy.
- Use the serial number of the device to submit the case (do not post that information on the Community).
- Chat is not available in every region. In those areas where Chat is an option, Chat service hours are likely restricted.
- HP will advise you when there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty. This is normal business practice.
- HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty. This is normal business practice. Standard Warranty typically covers specific hardware issues as explained in the Warranty contract. Care Pack coverage and warranties differ by contract package.
- Contact information is displayed on your screen after you submit your case online.
- HP websites are the only ones allowed to use the HP copyright circle/logo. Look for the copyright on any website claiming to be HP. If in doubt, scroll to the bottom of the Website to find HP copyright logo.
“Everywhere” Contact Information - HP Technical Support
Open website HP World-Wide Support
Select your region and follow the prompts
Option – Regions
USA / Canada
Submit information / case online: Contact HP Support – Assistance Portal
- Sign in or continue as a guest
- For faster support, first submit information / case online HP Customer Support UK
- If still available > Contact by Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist
Option - HP Support is on Facebook!
NOTE: If the single-system-check fails to find your device, use the "multiple devices" method to
check single or multiple devices.
- If necessary, Select your Country on the main website page or at the bottom (click Flag)
- Scroll down > To the right of Check multiple warranties, Click Continue
- Enter the Serial Number and Country for one or more devices / systems to be checked
- Check the box to verify you are "Not a robot"
- Click Submit (at bottom of list entries)
- When the page opens, Click View Details
NOTE: The online database results do not impact the actual contract.