KD___
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Broken "a" key

HP Recommended
HP Omen 17 w009ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, My letter "a" key doesn't seem to work but the rest of the keyboard works just fine. It's not stuck, it has the same feeling when I press it and it lights up just like the other keys, but pressing it doesn't register the "a" key to my screen. I'm kinda stuck at home due to the pandemic so I can't bring it to my local HP customer service center. Is there any way to fix one key or does the entire keyboard need to be replaced?

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Jay_G24
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,570 12,539 969 1,098
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @KD___,

Try the below suggestions to resolve the issue -

Use HP PC Hardware Diagnostics to complete functional test of the keyboard and identify any problems with the hardware.

NOTE: 

Bluetooth devices are not currently supported.

1. Download the latest version of HP PC Hardware Diagnostics.

2. In Windows, search for and right-click HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows, and then select Run as administrator.

Run HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows as an administrator

3. Click Component Tests, click Input Devices, and then select the Keyboard Test.

Running the Keyboard Test

4. Click Run once to begin the test.

The test ends when you complete the tasks or after 3 minutes.

For more information about using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows, go to HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures.

Pressing keys does nothing (keyboard is not working)

If your keyboard is not working, try the following steps:

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Press the Power button, and then immediately press the Esc key repeatedly to open the Startup Menu.

NOTE: 

If the Startup Menu screen does not open, the integrated keyboard hardware is not working. Service or replace the integrated keyboard in the notebook. To continue using the notebook, connect a USB wired keyboard to a USB port, and then restart the computer.

3. Press F10 to open the BIOS settings.

4. Press F5 to load the default settings, and then press F10 to accept the changes.

5. Restart the computer.

6. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

7. Click View, and then select Show hidden devices.

Show hidden devices in Device Manager

8. Click the arrow next to Keyboards, right-click the keyboard name, and then click Uninstall to remove the device from Windows.

9. Remove all devices in the Keyboards category, and then restart the computer.

The keyboard should now work correctly.

Refer to -Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation