Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I bought my Hp Pavilion about 6 months ago factory referbished. It ran great for about 3 or so months then I started hearing a buzzing/clicking sound. My only guess is the fan blades are hitting the casing (or something of that nature, I have not opened this one up so I do not know what it looks like) around the fan. 

The clicking/buzzing sound started off only after I had finished playing a game (when im gaming my laptop seems to reach about 175°F max using Speccy and the fan runs very fast/loud but doesnt buzz). Afterwards, to use the laptop when its idling, I am only able to make the buzzing sound stop by turning the laptop off, turning it to its side and tapping on the bottom then restarting it and everything is fine.

Recently my laptop has gotten worse so that sometimes it starts buzzing when I start it up and it always buzzes when im finished gaming. Also i cannot just turn it off and tap on the bottom with a near garranttee it will stop buzzing when I turn it back on. 

My guess is that a screw is lose or a bearing is going bad simply due to how much work the fan has to do. I'm not cirtain how its built so im not really sure if there even is screws to hold the fan in place. Also, the area im in is very lint/dust free and i dont see buildup what-so-ever on the air intake. Any advice it appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Kevin541213

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand there's a buzzing sound coming from the laptop,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you attempted to update the BIOS to resolve the issue?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do,

I have a few recommendations: 

• Updating your Notebook computer BIOS 

• Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean 

• Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat 

• Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes 

• Selecting power saves settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use 

For more details: Click here 

(Though the header is different, the steps to follow will help resolve your concern & By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve, 

That said, If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Kevin541213

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand there's a buzzing sound coming from the laptop,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you attempted to update the BIOS to resolve the issue?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do,

I have a few recommendations: 

• Updating your Notebook computer BIOS 

• Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean 

• Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat 

• Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes 

• Selecting power saves settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use 

For more details: Click here 

(Though the header is different, the steps to follow will help resolve your concern & By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve, 

That said, If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, my laptop is updated. I went ahead and followed your guidance and it is now working fine. Hopefully it remains that way. 

Thanks for the assistance.

HP Recommended

@Kevin541213

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards identifying and leading you towards the solution for this concern.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Touching case or keyboard alters pitch of noise

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.