Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-cb0080nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have just purchased a 17" HP Omen (i7-9750h, RTX2070). (EDIT: Removed the product link on Amazon since this was marked as spam...) Overall, I am very happy with the system, however, I have one very major issue....

Under full load, the CPU operates at 98-100C....continuously. The TjMax for the i7-9750h is 100C I believe, so the chip is operating at or near max temperature at all times under load.   This is with a x40 multiplier (I believe the chip is capable of hitting x45) and with a cooling pad. 

The GPU operates at a perfect 70C under load and has no problems. 

I have tried to set the max cpu to 99% under Windows settings. This has reduced my max temps to 90-92C on average, but occasionally they still spike to 100C.  In any case, I am concerned that 90C is still too hot for extended gaming sessions (plus, I'd like to be able to run the chip at max power....its why I got this chip instead of an 8750....)

Any advice appreciated. I don't believe I can underclock or repaste the system as both would ruin my warranty, so if I can't find some other solution, I may have to return the system. 😞 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@EvilLost Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing the overheating issue.

Is it very hot to touch the laptop?

Please refer to the following link to Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating.

Please update the chipset, thermal, Graphics drivers and BIOS.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Is it very hot to touch the laptop?

Why does it matter? The CPU temp is 100C, that is all that matters.

(EDIT: That link claims that temps above 35C will damage your internals, and yet almost all internals have operating temps in the 70C range....the information provided is flat out wrong). 

(EDIT2: Also, that link you provide basically tells me to reduce my settings or power options. Neither of these is an acceptable solution - if I wanted to operate at a lower speed, then I would buy a slower processor. Selling me a more expensive, higher end processor, then telling me to power it down and not to use it is not an acceptable solution.)

I have already updated all my drivers and this laptop is brand new (less than 1 week old). 

These temps are also WITH a cooling pad. 

HP Recommended

@EvilLost

Thank you for the information.

It looks like a hardware issue, I recommend you contact HP phone support to check the available service options for the computer.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

To be clear, are you saying that an HP Omen with i7-9750h and RTX2070 under full load does NOT normally operate at 100C CPU temps and something is wrong with my particular machine? 

What is HPs average (expected) operating temperature for the CPU of an HP Omen machine under full load when operating properly? 

Can I open it up and repaste it myself, or are you going to tell me that voids my warranty?

I have no interest in sending a 1 week old machine in for repairs. If I can't fix it easily, I will just return it. 

HP Recommended

@EvilLost

I understand your concerns.

The CPU and GPU will not cross more than 95 degrees. 

HP will not recommend opening the laptop and repaste the thermal. 

If you would like to open the laptop and damaged any other parts, it will void the warranty.

I would suggest you contact phone support or you can contact local stores.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I contacted support and they also suggest that I return the device so I have issued an exchange. Hopefully the second one performs better!

HP Recommended

@EvilLost

Thank you for the update.

I am positive that the new one will work fine.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.