Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The cpu speed for my HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-ec0013dx always gets stuck at 0.40ghz while charging. The cpu speed is normal when unplugged though. I've tried resetting my laptop, changing the power plan of the laptop to high performance, and also watched some videos and articles on this type of problem, but couldn't find anything that worked.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @Dylan8ter .

Have you verified that the storage unit is not damaged?

Do you have updated the bios of your equipment?
Are you using the original charger?
Do you connect the charger directly to the power outlet, by this I mean if you are not using power strips, multi-contacts, power regulators, extensions, etc.

I am proudly Mexican, a Computer Systems Engineer and a community volunteer.
If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

HP Recommended

It is possible that the CPU got too hot during the charging and basically went into thermal shutdown.  @GOLD_MASTER mentioned possible hard drive problems. Whether mechanical or SDD the drive consumes power and gives off heat.  Combined with charging and running apps this could cause the overall temp to get too high.

There are a number of apps that measure temperatures.  I use tthrottle on several rack systems but GPU-z is good and it shows GPU as well as CPU temperatures.

What tool are your using to check cpu speed?

SANITY CHECK:  what setting is the "min/max speed under battery"?

pp-spr.png

If the temperatures are normal it is possible windows got corrupted and can not properly control the processor speed.  Bring up the event viewer and look for errors.  Install speedfan or  Hard Drive Sentinel and run their S.M.A.R.T report to see if there is a disk problem.  Both are free but HD Sentinel has a big footprint.  

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.