Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15-dc0001na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The Omen laptop is good, but from my experience, I feel like I need more VRAM because the games I play have complex textures. I also want to ensure I’m future proofing. I don’t want to replace the laptop, because it’s too expensive. Instead, I plan on getting a GTX 1060 in an external enclosure, as it has 6GB of video memory, as oppose to the 2GB that the GTX 1050 Mobile inside the laptop has. The laptop does have a thunderbolt 3 port even though the specifications say otherwise. I just want to be sure that they are compatible, and if I need an external monitor if performance is going to be an issue when displaying to the laptop screen. 

Thanks in advance,

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don’t know how to delete the post, but it turns out the ports I saw were minidisplay and USB C not thunderbolt, making it impossible to get an external enclosure. Looks like I’ll have to start saving if I want to play the new flight simulator, there’s no hope a game like that can run on this thing😔.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I don’t know how to delete the post, but it turns out the ports I saw were minidisplay and USB C not thunderbolt, making it impossible to get an external enclosure. Looks like I’ll have to start saving if I want to play the new flight simulator, there’s no hope a game like that can run on this thing😔.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.