Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can I install an SSD into my gaming laptop?

OMEN by HP - 17-an012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Was wondering if it is possible to install a M.2 ssd into my laptop and which one's are compatible with my model?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 6
424 424 28 72
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I know from experience this model does have a slot for m2 SSD but keep in mind if you decide to upgrade your PC, warranty only covers the original components so you're doing it at your own risk.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06001792

You can find some part numbers on page 26, good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
11,398 11,207 1,170 3,354
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @ProvingLegend 

That model came out mid 2017 so Im sure its out of warranty now.

It will take an standard 2280mm Gen 3 M.2 (3x4SS)  NVMe SSD.

The brand is up to you, but I recommend one of the better brand names like Samsung, Crucial, Kingston, Sandisk, etc.

There is no limit of the capacity of the drive. There is also a Gen 4 edition now, but don't waste your money on that one. Your system wont utilize the faster speed.

IF you find one online but not sure about it, post the link and ask us if it will work.

Also I recommend you install Windows with the 2.5 inch HDD disconnected first. Once Windows is working, then reconnect the HDD. Make sure the HDD is backed up and then you can wipe it and use if for storage.

Tip: look inside and make sure the little screw is on the motherboard. If its missing, you will need to buy one.

Size is M2 x 3mm like this example... Link

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation