Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP 15-ax200ne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I own an HP 15-ax200ne laptop on Windows 10 Home. I have bought it brand-new in March 2017 (so a bit more than 3 years ago) and I have had no difficulty with it except the battery performance. I use it as a desktop PC therefore I'd rarely turn it off on occasion.

My problem started on November 2019 when my battery would not charge and I figured to open it and found out that the battery was swollen so I looked for a replacement but HP does not seem to sell one online and I didn't have any more warranty for it at that point so I bought and used a replacement from a grey market and it was perfect. I have figured that to make the battery last longer, I decided to keep the AC adapter connected all the time to keep the life cycle short. Now last week, the battery report showed that the battery is weak (1st link below) , the power capacity is now only 13 mWh from 64 mWh just a few days ago. I also get a battery alert (2nd link below) every time I open my laptop. The battery also turns off my laptop after a few minutes (at any percentage) and doesn't turn on unless I reconnect my AC adapter.

Should I buy a new battery for 63 USD or can I simply use it without the battery and just simply have the AC adapter connected as usual? Would the latter case damage any of the other components. I use it to run several applications such as AutoCAD, Solidworks, ANSYS Workbench, etc. and high-end games. Based from the screenshots below, is there also a problem if I keep the battery. Thank you in advance. 

Battery result: https://imgur.com/gF01blX

Battery alert: https://imgur.com/VhZmdis

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Franz_99 

Depending on your actual situation. I have few machine w/o batteries, they run on main BUT I also have UPS therefore no problem when suddenly losing power (main).

You can use your machine w/o battery. The risk is: if no AC power suddenly, it may not recover, then unpredictable damages for your machine.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@Banhien

Then I should be ok to use my weak battery as sort of a UPS in case of a power outage, right? Maybe that will provide me enough time to save any progress I had and prevent damages. Would this be a safer option possibly than without a battery?

HP Recommended

@Franz_99 

Actually my UPS only gives me 15mins, and it has an alarm. 15Mins is more than enough for me. Now back yo your question. Yes, 3mins should be okay to save your works and shutdown machine the right way.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.