2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

Can my USB-C be used for video output?

HP Recommended
Pavillion - 15-ec1006na Gmaing Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello, so i have a HP Gaming Laptop 15-ec1006na. 

I play fps based games using a monitor and separate keyboard with a mouse.

I have decided to buy a new monitor with a better refresh rate (165hz)

However since buying this monitor, i have found out that with HDMI cable i can only get a maximum 60hz.

Through a little amount of research i have gathered that using a USB-C to DP can make it so i can use a higher refresh rate, but whenever i plug it in, nothing seems to work.

So is the USB-C that is on my laptop the correct one for video output? if not, is there anything i can do to play with a higher refresh rate on my new monitor? 

2 REPLIES 2
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
90,568 90,445 11,630 24,925
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@TomJames2812 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c06839329

It has 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 5Gbps signaling rate port which does not support Alt mode therefore you can't connect it to an external monitor.

It has High-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) v.2.0 + HDCP 2.2 supporting up to 4096 × 2160 at 60 Hz. The rule is resolution goes up refresh rate will go down and vice versa therefore you may be able to get 1920 x 1080 at 120Hz.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

TomJames2812
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response and helping me understand my situation more. Will be going forward with getting a supporting HDMI cable for my needs in hope that it works like I want it to. 
 - Tommy 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation