Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
hp pavilion - 15-ec0013dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I don't necessarily know where to go for specific information on this. Anybody that could refer me to better advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a computer guy that does good work for me on instillation, I just need to bring him the right parts. I'm considering replacing the GTX 1050 in my current laptop. And judging by what I found, I'm curious about a GTX 1660 Ti.

These multiple parts on page 11 of my service manual lead me to believe I can. (http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06446633) Though, I'm unsure if that's entirely correct, whether or not I'd need a specific mobile version of the card, or how much this upgrade would effect my machine cooling wise. Or, how to tell if my current chip set is soldered onto the motherboard. In which case, I would assume I'm screwed. To be specific, it's a HP Pavilion - 15-ec0013dx. 

Any help would be appreciated!

I'm not even going to ask if I can upgrade to that Ryzen 7 CPU lol

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The graphics adapters are integral parts of the motherboard.

In order to upgrade the graphics, the motherboard would have to be replaced by one listed in chapter 3, pages 15 - 16 that may come with better graphics.

Since the PC is relatively new, the cost of the motherboard alone would probably exceed the entire cost you originally paid for the notebook.

Plus you would have to buy the applicable heat sink for the more powerful graphics adapter.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The graphics adapters are integral parts of the motherboard.

In order to upgrade the graphics, the motherboard would have to be replaced by one listed in chapter 3, pages 15 - 16 that may come with better graphics.

Since the PC is relatively new, the cost of the motherboard alone would probably exceed the entire cost you originally paid for the notebook.

Plus you would have to buy the applicable heat sink for the more powerful graphics adapter.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response! Dumb question, but why can't soldered part be...un-soldered? I'm obviously a neophyte when it comes to computer hardware. 

If I could ask one more question, if I was interested in finding out the price of upgrading the motherboard, how would I go about that? If I was absolutely nuts, I mean. 

Googling the spare part number or board name didn't seem to get me very far. I'm just curious how much it would cost now. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I'm not an electronics technician so I wouldn't be able to answer your first question.

Just take it on faith that it can't be done.

You may be able to repair an existing GPU by reflowing the solder but not put an entirely different one in its place.

I wouldn't even know how or where you would get the GPU chips from, that they incorporate into the motherboard.

Parts...I don't know where you can get the motherboard parts...I looked up the best one available from the list and entered the part number in the HP parts store website, and it indicated the part was not orderable from HP.

AMD Ryzen 7 3750H processor and 6 GB of discrete graphics memory (GeForce GTX 1660 Ti)   L71932-601

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/default.aspx

I couldn't find anything either when doing a google search  by the part number...one site in Portugal and no price listed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.